• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What role does manganese play in mitochondrial function?

hixxy

As per the title, what role does manganese play in mitochondrial function? Anything else other than as a part of manganese superoxide dismutase?

I recently had serum levels tested and they were low and but I'm unable to tolerate supplementation. It causes severe problems with my stomach and esophagus even when bypassing the gut (transdermal).

I have eosinophilic esophagitis and MCAS and my stomach and esophagus are by far my sickest organs and I suspect I have severe mitochondrial dysfunction in them as a result of very long term immune activation combined with periods of malnutrition and a toxic drug combination that further damaged them back in 2009 while I was poorly nutritioned and losing weight (one of them was a nitrofuran, furazolidone, that had its FDA approval revoked for being too toxic).

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
The mass of the inner mitochondria membrane might increase under high levels of manganese. This is shown for HeLa cells.

If the cell undergoes apoptosis in view of very high manganese the electrical gradient is uniquely increased (not decreased), indicating a special not cytochrome c mediated apoptosis. The mitochondria are not swollen up then.

I think, even if the body can be ill, the most of it will still work. So, I wouldn´t mind about your levels but would take serious what the body is telling. (But of course, medicals can make feel your worse, I am far off from denying that.)

I have quoted your message now::http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...n-has-been-confirmed.58833/page-2#post-974705

Last edited:

renski

LINE

@LINE, just wondering how manganese and copper act, I can't find documentation on the relationship between these 2.. thx

Dr. David Watts, his book ($20) Trace Elements and Other Essential Nutrients covers these relationships
https://www.traceelements.com/EducationalResources/BookStore.aspx This is an excellent resource.

This might be helpful:

1567461728173.png

Sophiedw

The severe stomach and esophagus involvement in my case has always been tracked back to b1 deficiency. I have no idea if this is a comparable case but manganese potently reduces b1 and causes me severe stomach pain like my gi tract is s eized up that lasts several days.