• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What low energy hobbies do people do?

Rufous McKinney

Paper mache sounds fun and...slightly messy but not too hard if one is- just allowed to enjoy it.

I"m laughing- even thinking about the low energy hobby- uses energy!

Took some primary watercolors and just did some pouring onto wet watercolor paper. Without any plan or outcome.

That was fun and not too-taxing.

:cool:

Abrin

Paper mache sounds fun and...slightly messy but not too hard if one is- just allowed to enjoy it.

I am just papier-maching over an old cardboard box so it isn't anything too exciting.

I've done something similar to your wet watercolor paper thing in the past. I just poured black paint into the middle of the page, folded it in half to make an ink blot and then called it a day and let it dry. :)

Hi rebecca, i love looking after my houseplants. Not really a hobby. I have a small balcony garden (flat) and it is overcrowded with flowers, but i love it. Even have a hose so there is no carrying of watering cans. Sometimes i press flowers but that is a bit toooo..slow for me. Haha

i did make one face mask😷

Attachments

• D8EE6F90-107A-4D05-B129-638EB08E434D.jpeg
    D8EE6F90-107A-4D05-B129-638EB08E434D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
What a lovely balcony you have @Jenny wren ! It is so sunny and cheerful and colorful! When our lives are largely limited to our houses, it's nice to have a beautiful space that is full of life to enjoy. I also enjoy taking care of the plants in my house and my small garden.

I wonder if anyone here raises orchids or bonsai trees. I feel like those would be good hobbies for people with ME/CFS.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
Low Energy Hobbies

My main goal (in having a hobby or hobbies) is to create, rather than to merely absorb or process information. Filling my head with information, predominantly useless information, is taxing on my brain and body. So, if I'm investing my time on some activity I'd prefer it be a productive use of time.. or something that elicits an emotional reaction.

As I am bed bound, these activities may not seem all that active:

Writing -

Utilizing the voice-to-text feature on my phone, I write out (at least) 1,000 words per day. As I do not have a great deal of human contact, my writing is often in direct response to others posting, or in matters regarding my personal life observations. Probably, my style is most akin to letter writing.

Music Making -

As a musician who no longer has the ability to play any instruments, I've found a few workarounds.

There are a number of free downloadable apps that allow you to play virtual music instruments. For instance, on my tablet, I have a virtual piano, keyboards, percussion instruments, and a number of sound generating apps, as a means to make new music compositions. And mostly, playing these virtual instruments only requires that I move my fingers, and sometimes my wrists, while utilizing my forearm muscles.

Using this less taxing method, I've been able to create and complete a few dozen songs, some rather involved/evolved.

There are other free music apps that allow you to make your own songs (start to finish) based upon pre-existing sound samples. The method is similar to "clicking and dragging" on a PC. Some (virtual) assembly required.

Practicing Mindfulness gives me better overall energy to do more mentally and physically difficult things throughout the day. And it's a constant trade-off. Existing for too long a period in my mind zaps my strength in no time. So I work on making my thoughts productive, goal oriented. But much of the time, my thoughts are not. Meandering ruminations have few benefits.

Investigation -

This hobby is more of an addiction. And it's difficult for me to resist fuel for thought.

I often choose one or two random subjects to learn about or investigate each day. Sometimes it's in regards to a posting on here (medical), or sometimes it's a matter of being a newfound passing interest.

In the midst of doing so, however, I have to be aware of how the investigation is affecting me physically. If I am enjoying the investigation, the look inside without becoming mentally obsessed, then the process shouldn't affect my energy levels, shouldn't tire me out to a greater extent. But if I'm becoming irritated or cranky, if there is an active and discernible buzz in my brain, I know I've pushed it too far, and I'm asking my brain to do too much. I feel it physically, on a physical level. And by then it's too late.

Nap time. Gaze out the window at nature. Listen to the sounds all around me. Close my eyes and meditate. Breathe deeply.

Sometimes it's utilizing just one of those recovery techniques, while other times I go through the whole darned list.

Other than that, I'll watch an occasional television show, something easy on the mind, or I'll voice-to-text someone (my older sister or my bed bound friend 1,874 miles away).

H

P.S. I suppose I should have made this a low-energy read.

Oh, nice garden! Visually pleasing.