• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the virus found by Elaine De Frietas.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
just watched a great Video on the net about the lake Tahoe outbreak, with short iterview with Elaine De Frietas. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the virus was that she found all that wile ago, and also where she is now. anyone know?

caledonia

Unknown retrovirus because it was never followed up on. It's supposed to be a different type than XMRV though.

She had a car accident in 80's which led to RSD in the 90's, so she is disabled and in a wheelchair. Yes, she did get checked out by Cheney to see if she was infected by her retrovirus, but it was negative.

I would love to hear her thoughts on the XMRV discovery. She did predict that in 20 years' time, the retrovirus angle would be rediscovered.

I think she may have some of her samples in a freezer somewhere still? Or at least she did back in the 90's.

Desdinova

Unknown retrovirus because it was never followed up on. It's supposed to be a different type than XMRV though.
Never followed up on because the experts at the CDC said they couldn't duplicate her findings. Gee now where have we heard this story recently? As for her having stored blood wasn't she getting her blood samples from Peterson and Cheney? I seem to remember reading where Dr. Peterson talked about pulling some blood samples from older patients and having them tested for XMRV. My memory is extremely leaky today so my facts are probably off.

ukxmrv

The samples ended up with Dr Klimas (and also some samples from the NZ Holmes retrovirus)

lancelot

She found a HTLV-like retrovirus she called CAV. XMRV and MLV's are all HTLV-like retroviruses. i am convinced she found a MLV variant or one of the ones found by Lo/Alter. Either way, she got it right 20 years ago! Someone must pay for the suffering of millions for decades!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks for the replies. I was guessing that it would be related in some way to the viruses found now, and its good to be able to join the dots in my head a bit.

I agree lancelot, its just appaling that this was flagged up so long ago and nothing was done about it. thats why it is so important for the PWME to keep up the pressure now on our Governments and govt organisations. I have been ill for at least 15 years and i live in the uk which is like being in the dark ages as far as i am concerned.

I have 2 out of 4 children allready ill, but not diagnosed and my husband also seems to be having strange related symptoms.
I am simply furious about the situation we hav been put in.

ukxmrv

No one is offering the DeFreitas test. However, there are still some of the old patients around who were tested at the time. I couldn't afford to do it then.

Some of the old patients are posting to facebook and other forums with their XMRV results now.