• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what is the best description of your me/cfs?

• on & off, relapse-remit, comes and goes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • healthy, healthy, BOOM!--> ME/CFS

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • always had ME/CFS since childhood

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
None of the above fits what happened to me. I had bouts of swollen lymph nodes that would come with mild to moderate feeling of having the flu with fatigue (and head stinging) for several years (since my 20's) These would come and go, but never lasted more than three months. About 11 years ago I had a particularly bad episode and that hit me hard and never went away. Since then, the constant flu and pain symptoms have been with me. Two years after the bad episode, I developed involuntary muscle twitching and neuropathy type pain in my feet and hands. More recently I have circulation problems.

On my worst days I would describe it my illness like this: Waking up in the morning feeling like I have the worst flu of my life and I am recovering from being hit by a truck at the same time. After those initial feelings hit me, I realize that I am probably going to pass out if I don't lay down again.

SaveMe

None of the above fits what happened to me. I had bouts of swollen lymph nodes that would come with mild to moderate feeling of having the flu with fatigue (and head stinging) for several years (since my 20's) These would come and go, but never lasted more than three months. About 11 years ago I had a particularly bad episode and that hit me hard and never went away. Since then, the constant flu and pain symptoms have been with me. Two years after the bad episode, I developed involuntary muscle twitching and neuropathy type pain in my feet and hands. More recently I have circulation problems.

On my worst days I would describe it my illness like this: Waking up in the morning feeling like I have the worst flu of my life and I am recovering from being hit by a truck at the same time. After those initial feelings hit me, I realize that I am probably going to pass out if I don't lay down again.

Mya so wouldnt you fall under option #1 titled "on & off, relapse-remit, comes and goes"
im confused?

I think it's the question that makes me hesitate. I do have times of "remission" so to speak, but even during those times I don't feel like I used to before I got sick. If I don't pace myself it is time to pay!! I used to be pretty healthy, and yes, it seemed like all of a sudden I was sick, but looking back it may not have been that way. Some health issues came up, then there was the "trigger" that sent me over the edge. sometimes I wonder was it that particular trigger, or could it have been anything traumatic to my body? The 3rd choice can't even relate to.

I feel so bad for those kids, the ones who are sick at a young age. Those are the ones we should worry about. I had a life as a kid, I traveled as an adult, I had a career....these kids will need to work around an illness that is very difficult, day to day.