• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is neurochemical cause of anxiety?

SOC

My daughter has had fairly rare bouts of inappropriate anxiety with her ME/CFS. Even when experiencing them she knows they're not related to anything going on in her life -- it's just random, pointless anxiety.

Can anyone tell me what the physical cause of this kind of anxiety might be? Might we be dealing with a temporary nutritional deficiency?

We can go to the doctor, of course, but he already thinks we're neurotic complainers, so that's not the most appealing solution... yet.

PS: What's the deal with GABA? Is it used with ME/CFS much? My limited research so far makes it sound useful, but perhaps too much so. What's the downside?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
thyroid, cortisol, adrenaline, noradrenaline but i suppose then is why these things are being stimulated, sometimes low blood pressure can cause an adrenergic response to correct the low blood pressure ie increase in adrenaline which can increase heart rate and can cause blood vessels to constrict which helps increase blood pressure. There are many possible causes though, she need to have a 24hr holter montior where her ecg and blood pressure are monitored. Sometimes arrythmias can cause these problems. blood sugar problems also, a big list she has to slowly work on herself as much as she can. Maybe she needs to start a fresh with a new doctor, one of the cfs guru's if u can get to one of them.

good luck

SOC

You may have hit on it with the adrenergic response to low blood pressure or low blood sugar. She does have issues with low blood pressure, so the right combination of circumstances could cause the feeling of anxiety.

She did have the 24hr Holter monitor a year ago at Dr Lerner's office. She has some abnormalities he thinks are related to her HHV-6 infection. Her anxiety attacks are rare, though, so I'm thinking there has to be a more limited range issue.

Blood sugar could be the problem, too. College students! :rolleyes: I doubt she eats as regularly as she should. I'll put on my Mom hat and get on her case about that.

Thanks heaps!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
low carb atkins diet is helpful for low blood sugar problems, or even try and just eat some sort of protein with every meal. She with a guru in dr lerner so i take it she is on av's then for hhv6? Even low cortisol can cause low blood pressure and low sugar problems then a rebound anxiety, look into pregnenolone which can help restore cortisol without having to take cortisol itself, too lower cortisol is also no good for your immune system too, needs to be monitored.

SOC

low carb atkins diet is helpful for low blood sugar problems, or even try and just eat some sort of protein with every meal. She with a guru in dr lerner so i take it she is on av's then for hhv6? Even low cortisol can cause low blood pressure and low sugar problems then a rebound anxiety, look into pregnenolone which can help restore cortisol without having to take cortisol itself, too lower cortisol is also no good for your immune system too, needs to be monitored.

She's been on Valcyte for a year and doing well. Much better and no particular side effects. Dr Lerner is great. :D

We'll look into the cortisol issue, too. Thanks!