• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is happening in the body re pain ?

RYO

I’ve had terrible leg pains since start of my illness in 2012. Honestly, no one knows the cause. Always worse after activity (PEM) and also worse when fighting infection. Interferon amplifies the pain. I’m not sure it’s neuropathic. No way to tell if it’s lactic acid build up. Acupuncture sometimes helps but I can’t stick needles in myself everyday (I have tried). I wonder if it’s related to endothelial damage/dysfunction or RBC deformibility issue if they are confirmed in subset of patients. LDN, gabapentin, cymbalta and TCAs didn’t work for me. I’ve tried very hard to avoid chronic opioids. I avoid NSAIDs because I have chronic GERD. I currently take low dose tramadol and acetaminophen daily and monitor my liver and kidney function periodically. For those of us who suffer with chronic pain it really sucks. You have to find what works for you and understand the potential side effects of therapy. I wish someone would invent a new class of non habit forming pain medication with minimal side effects.

Wishful

I wish someone would invent a new class of non habit forming pain medication with minimal side effects.

They might develop one ... and you might find that it didn't work on you because your perception of pain originates somewhere downstream of where the drug does its work. It's surprising how poorly understood the mechanism of pain still is.

Acupuncture sometimes helps but I can’t stick needles in myself everyday (I have tried).

I'm pretty sure there are some alternatives to needles. I vaguely recall some techniques using vibrating pressure or infra-red beams. Maybe electrical stimulation too. They might only have a small chance of helping, but if you're desperate...

Rufous McKinney

I'm pretty sure there are some alternatives to needles. I vaguely recall some techniques using vibrating pressure or infra-red beams.

bio magnets are very helpful, and you can try getting a TENS unit type thing and do your own stimulation of points- needles aren't necessary.