• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What has stabilized your adrenal function

Aerose91

I really have to get this in order. My adrenal function is always on a hair trigger and the smallest slip and I'm in a crash. I'm so sick of it. Diet is def the best thing to keep me from major crashes but again, a small slip up and I'm back down. I have voracious carb and sugar cravings and have for 8+ years now so that's a constant struggle.
Admittedly I slip on occasion because the cravings are so bad but I'm on point nearly all the time otherwise. I have to find a way to beat how bad the cravings get.
Anyone find sustained success with adrenal function? Did diet do it? Anything else? I hate how a couple small slip ups and I tumble back down.

Pearshaped

Have you had a 24 hour cortisol saliva test?
First we need to know wheter your adrenals are weak and cortisol is still high or if its already too low.

If too low:
What has helped me was hydricortisone.
And licorice root(mixed in milk -bec of the sodium in milk the combo is bit of a natural florinef)

if too high:
Try high dose Vit C, relora,seriphos,rhodiola and IF tolerated;ginseng.
Adrenals like it when you are lying flat.So if not bedbound,try to get more FLAT rest.
Very Important:
With high carbs you put more stress to the Adrenals in the long run.
try to mix your carbs with fiber to prevent too high blood sugar spikes.and add fat.if possible i would go for low carb.What do you think of Dr.Berg? (yes the keto- Dr.)on yiutube are some good short videos about diet and the adrenals very helpful (i found)

Aerose91

Oh yah, many. It's always low. I was on hydrocortisone for a time and maybe it took some edge off but it certainly wasn't curative. I react poorly to licorice- MCAS I think. I believe my AF is lyme related as I can't seem to kick lyme all together but I still have to manage it in the meantime.

Pearshaped

Mine was low too but cortef helped me tremendously (while on it)
took it for a year and then tapered it off.
sorry it didn't work for you.

Grapefruit ? (i never tried it and don't know if an option with MCAS or allergies)

Im running out of ideas..but as you have said,diet is a big issue...good luck

Pearshaped

Ha. Im unfortunately far away from being healed.I'm bedbound.completely.
BUT I was even more very severe affected after onset 4yrs ago.

While in Cortef,its helped me to sit up in bed,could speak again and gained strength to go through further(but useless)investigastions in hospital.

Sadly while i was improving more and more they urged me to do exercise and took me off cortef.which led back to where i was before.

since 2019 at least my cognition and speech have definetly improved.
Cortef is a serious drug but it has helped me ti survive what they did to me while i was in hospital.(theres a thread about "PEM shielders and PEM relievers which might be useful to you if you havent seen it already)

drob31

I've been using the peptide BPC-157, and I happened to do bloodwork while I was on it, and it definitely increased my ACTH and cortisol drastically. Although, it was a bit high on blood work, I'm lowering the dose to get it dialed it.

recommend drenamin by standard process. dosage must be tweaked per person but this has helped me support adrenals as i fix gut health. B5 (pantethine) is also helpful to boost adrenal function. must find balance between supporting adrenals and prevent over-stimulation which works against you.

Tammy

Ashwagandha and trying not to let very many hours go between eating. If I eat something every 2 hrs........it really helps. (I don't always do that though)

Wayne

I've been using the peptide BPC-157, and I happened to do bloodwork while I was on it, and it definitely increased my ACTH and cortisol drastically.

Very interesting @drob31 -- Makes me wonder if I could reduce my daily amount of Cortef? Could you share where you're procuring your BPC-157? It's been on my mind to try, but I haven't gotten around to finding a reliable source. -- Thanks!