• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Fixed/Aided Your Brain Fog?

MAF14

upps pressed the wrong button first post. What brand of yucca do you use and how much daily? Thx linda

Personally I use the Vitamin Shoppe brand Yucca, 2 caps of 450mg each 2x a day... Can't say I've noticed much (if any) benefit though. Not saying you won't but just my experience with it

u&iraok

What helped me the most was:

Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (A-GPC)
Phosphatidylserine

MAF14

What helped me the most was:

Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (A-GPC)
Phosphatidylserine

Both cholines?

Alpha GPC Ive seen used as a choline source but I've always stuck with DMAE as I've seen it reviwed to be the best bang for the buck - which now that I think about it, maybe its just one of those supplements that dont work for me... Have you tried and/or noticed a difference between the two?

Never taken PS due to price/always understood it to be calming and almost sleep inducing. How do you take this in regards to dose/time of day?

Timaca

Antivirals and antibiotics helped me.

Dietary changes have also helped me a lot. I've figured out through trial and error that I have multiple food intolerances. This blog post will give you some idea of what I'm eating and what I learned about myself in 2015. Some probiotics seem to help with brain clarity too, but usually I end up having other issues with them (headaches, joint pain, sleeplessness, etc) so I have to stop them.

Best,

MAF14

Antivirals and antibiotics helped me.

Dietary changes have also helped me a lot. I've figured out through trial and error that I have multiple food intolerances. This blog post will give you some idea of what I'm eating and what I learned about myself in 2015. Some probiotics seem to help with brain clarity too, but usually I end up having other issues with them (headaches, joint pain, sleeplessness, etc) so I have to stop them.

Best,

Thanks for the link, very informative... Did you use any OTC antivirals/biotics?

u&iraok

Both cholines?

Alpha GPC Ive seen used as a choline source but I've always stuck with DMAE as I've seen it reviwed to be the best bang for the buck - which now that I think about it, maybe its just one of those supplements that dont work for me... Have you tried and/or noticed a difference between the two?

Never taken PS due to price/always understood it to be calming and almost sleep inducing. How do you take this in regards to dose/time of day?

I only took them once a day in Cognitex by Life Extension Foundation. I had been taking just the PS (it didn't used to be so costly, then it got popular!) but I noticed an improvement when I took both. Either that or it's because I was taking Life Extension's brand--I seem to do really well on their supplements.

MAF14

Oh, I forgot that cucurmin/turmeric really helped too. Another benefit from it was my muscle aches, especially in my neck and shoulders, got a lot better.

Funny you mention, I just started taking Turmeric w/ Bioperine again this morning.

MAF14

:) Does it help you?

I haven't been as consistent with it as I should. The only muscle aches I get are in my legs and I think that is more tightness from how I sleep. Inflammation wise, I haven't had blood work done. I was mostly taking it because I saw it was also effective against biofilms.

Unfortunately I havent noticed any benefits from it.

hamsterman

The 2 biggest things for me are getting natural sleep and avoiding PEM... and of course both of these are ellusive, and deservidlly have their own forum groups... but I think any Fog-busting techniques have to start with these two things.

Aside from these two, if you have focus issues (even before having CFS), A.D.D. drugs can help... but use them carefully. They can give you a 'boost', but that boost can send you to your next PEM. Also, you need to take vacations from them. I take Vyvanse, but I don't think its for everyone.

I havent had any luck with any supplements.

Timaca

@Arius~ I'm thinking of one of those pillows! I'm concerned that it will take months for the smell to go away! What has your experience been?

I don't eat a Stone Age diet but like you, I am eliminating a lot of food allergens (the top 10 to be exact). I also am eating low histamine. Those two things have helped my brain fog a lot. (I also don't drink caffeine, but I never did).

Here's a link to my blog which talks a bit about the diet I'm following...

All the best,

@Arius @Timaca
Interesting that your diets are helping with brain fog.
I also follow a diet, low histamine and no dairy products. Both have slightly helped with brain-fog. I think because it helps my bowels and stomach to be more healthy. (not absolutely sure though)
I still have heavy brain-fog all the time though, and still searching for solutions.

I was just wondering, did you notice any specific food products that definitely strongly make it worse/cause bad brain-fog symptoms? / foods that will ruin your day without a doubt.
Which ones are the worst for you?

Timaca

@JuliaMaple ~ Interesting question about which foods cause brain fog. For me, foods can also cause headaches. Just recently I tested corn....ate 1/2 ounce and had a slight headache about an hour later and then again the next morning. Then a day or so later I ate 1 ounce. Had a worse headache an hour later that lasted over 24 hours. Just to make sure it was the corn, I will be retesting it in a month or so.

Cutting out foods high in histamine (which for me includes animal meat), and getting rid of the top 10 food allergens has helped the brain fog a lot. I can eat very fresh fish but I don't eat much of it or my serum mercury level goes high. I am trying to test (add back in) some of the top food allergens. We'll see.

Since I seem to have a histamine intolerance, even foods high in benzoates may be a problem for me. Last year, when I tested berries, it didn't go well at all. I hope to test blueberries (1 ounce) on Friday. We'll see.

It seems that 2 probiotics have helped my brain become a bit clearer too, but I tried these AFTER the food elimination. I doubt that they would be helpful without eliminating the problem foods. They are Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support and the Baby Dophilus.

This post on my blog tells you what I am eating.

What ruined my day (2 days actually) most recently was swimming 6 lengths of a pool. I honestly think I have a chlorine / bromine intolerance. (Trying to ascertain which chemical was used in the pool). I was down and not very functional after that swim and I don't think it was the amount of exercise!!!

Timaca

It is this list (top 8 food allergens) and then include seeds (eg sesame and sunflower seeds) and corn for the top 10. I am also not eating yeast at the moment (as in breads).