• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Does Overmethylation Feel Like?

Lotus97

lotus, I'm having my 11th weekly injection this saturday of hydroxo b12. I think I tolerate that better. I think I will just stick with 1 or 2 250 mcg b12 (methyl) per week + the injection.
You could also try hydroxocobalamin sublinguals or take methylcobalamin orally if the symptoms from the methylcobalamin sublinguals don't improve. Another option might be adenosylcobalamin, but if you're sensitive then that could cause problems too. And there isn't any low dose adenosylcobalamin sublinguals available without folic acid. You could try taking the adb12 sublingual orally as well. Holisticheal does sell adenosylcobalamin drops and an adenosylcobalamin spray that would allow you to take a lower dose, but I'm not sure if it's really absorbed that well sublingually.
Does the strong reaction (over methylation) mean that I am healing?
Some people believe in "pushing through" adverse effects, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Besides severity of symptoms, another way to tell whether your dose is too high or not is whether the symptoms get worse or better on each subsequent day that you take the dose. I would even suggest that too high of a dose could make your health worse.
But I still I feel really anxious, heart palpitations at night, keep checking my pulse, think I'm going to die, hate being alone (which is very out of character for me), not feeling like myself, can't concentrate etc. So then I go off b12 for a few days and gradually I feel myself coming back to normal, like a relief.
Based on the symptoms you describe it sounds like your dose is too high. I don't know all the reasons a person could react this way to a low dose, but there are several possibilities such as COMT or CBS polymorphism, high histamine, low potassium, or metal/mold/chemical toxicity. I experienced those symptoms last fall when I tried methylfolate. I didn't know what methylfolate or methylation was so I thought I had mercury toxicity since my tooth with an amalgam cracked a few days earlier. It took 5 weeks before I finally figured out what was going on. I found a quote by Rich saying that "even a toothpick of methylfolate was enough to blow some people away". After that, I went over 2 months with only taking hydroxocobalamin then I gradually added folinic acid. I still haven't started methylfolate, but I'm most likely converting some of the folinic acid I take into methylfolate.

boo85

thank you for the responses, crux and lotus. It makes me feel better knowing that others have been through the same thing.

I think I will just stick with hydroxy b12 injections once per week - that seems to be all I can handle right now.