• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you do all day?

Nightingale

Chronically Cool
I'm in bed like over 6 hours a day. What do you do all day? I'm so bored. I've been sick for so long. I've watched all the good t.v. I've tried writing, painting, crocheting, listening to podcasts, reading, singing, learning a different language. I've reached my peak. I'm really, horribly bored.

What can I do? How can I occupy my time?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Wow, you've done just about all of the things I would have suggested! You've been so creative about trying to keep yourself occupied, and I'm sorry it hasn't been enough.

Have you considered trying a self-paced online course? You can now attend Harvard from bed!

One thing I've enjoyed doing is transcribing historical documents--you can do this through the National Archives, the Smithsonian, and I'm sure many many other places as well.

There are also some fun websites where you can easily help scientists with their research (this one is my favorite).

Also, if you have the mental energy maybe you could try a very part-time job that you could do from bed? Jobs like transcription, taking surveys, testing websites, and many more abound. At least that way, even if you're still bored, at least you're making some money. That might make boredom a little easier to bear, and more fulfilling.

Please let us know what you end up trying! Many of us also struggle to cope with boredom, and would welcome your suggestions!

valentinelynx

It's ok for your mind to race while meditating. The goal would be just to watch your mind do its thing and not get pulled into where it's going. If you do get pulled in by a thought, notice that and step back again.

I have trouble meditating these days because I am so drowsy, I fall asleep in minutes.

Blue Jay

I sometimes fall asleep while meditating, valentinelynx, but that's ok because my body (and yours) obviously needs it.

Cipher

Administrator
Researching potential treatments for my ME/CFS. :) Have you seen this roadmap? It's very comprehensive and covers many causes of ME/CFS and potential treatments.

taniaaust1

I suggest to find some youtube channels to follow or TV shows there you have not seen before (maybe others here can give you ideas of ones to check out if you say what things like to watch). I follow several family bloggers lives there.

Some I like to follow are
- FatheringAutism (a family who has a teen non verbal daughter who has severe Autism)

- Alex and Phil (a family I've followed through the adoption of their children and their IVF process, throu miscarriages and now she's about to have some embryos implanted, she's had multiple attempts at IVF).

- Rachel and Justin (another IVF family who had a child by IVF and they are about to go through it again).

- This Gathered Nest (a large family who have many adopted children who are right now in the process of waiting for a child for adoption)

I've taken up watching paternity court on youtube

If you are interested check out my doll making thread in the general lounge area.

You could try bird watching out of your bedroom window, get a bird bath/feeder set up where you can see it and use a bird identifier book to look up birds you dont know.

I used to use the garden website Dave's Garden. When Im not in bed I took photos of things I have growing outside and then when in bed I used to use the website to post on and find out what the unknown plants I saw were. I keep records thereof all the plants.

I cant think of anything else right but I'm very good at keeping myself entertained in bed as I need to spend most of my time there. Youtube is a great help to keep me from getting bored.

Likaloha

Wow, you've done just about all of the things I would have suggested! You've been so creative about trying to keep yourself occupied, and I'm sorry it hasn't been enough.

Have you considered trying a self-paced online course? You can now attend Harvard from bed!

One thing I've enjoyed doing is transcribing historical documents--you can do this through the National Archives, the Smithsonian, and I'm sure many many other places as well.

There are also some fun websites where you can easily help scientists with their research (this one is my favorite).

Also, if you have the mental energy maybe you could try a very part-time job that you could do from bed? Jobs like transcription, taking surveys, testing websites, and many more abound. At least that way, even if you're still bored, at least you're making some money. That might make boredom a little easier to bear, and more fulfilling.

Please let us know what you end up trying! Many of us also struggle to cope with boredom, and would welcome your suggestions!
rebeccaRe... Thanks for the tip on zoouniverse(sic)... they have lots of interesting projects going on and even people with short attention spans and fibro brain can help! I signed up yesterday and can't wait to start!