• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do people do for health insurance?

shiso

OK, so this is a really basic question -- I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, and/or if this topic has already been discussed on another thread, but what do most people with ME/CFS currently do for health insurance in the US if:

a) you are unable to work due to ME/CFS and therefore do not have health insurance thru your employer and the COBRA period has run out;

b) you are single (and are therefore not covered under a spouse or other family member's health insurance through his/her work);

c) you have not yet been granted SSDI (I think Medicare comes with SSDI, though I could be mistaken on that);

d) you do not qualify for Medicaid or similar programs?

Thanks for any guidance...

K

_Kim_

shiso,

I am able to purchase good affordable health insurance through my University. They only require that you remain enrolled with a minimum of one credit per semester. Currently, I am taking an online writing class to satisfy the requirement.

This is probably the best kept secret around.

Tammie

Medicare does come with SSDI, but only after you have been eligible for SSDI for 2 yrs.

In the meantime, you might want to check into state run high risk pools......in IL it is called ICHIP (IL Comprehensive Health Ins Program).....I think most states refer to it is CHIP, but I could be wrong about that.....it can be fairly expensive, but should be less than other indiv insurance plans, bc in essence the state becomes the grp (rather than an employer)

I was on this for awhile & it was actually very good coverage.....once you become eligible for Medicare you are no longer allowed to stay on ICHIP, otherwise I would have probably stayed with it

shiso

Thank you very much everyone for your informative responses!

(Bottom line: chronic disabling illness + (a) thru (d) = not a fun place to be...)

S.

caledonia

Right, I looked into the state high risk pool thing, but it was so confusing and I really couldn't afford it anyway, so I just gave up. I didn't melt or anything by not having insurance for two years.

By the time I got approved for SSDI, it had already been 24 months, so I had Medicare right away.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I've had no insurance for 4 years now, and have no idea how to go about getting it.

I might look into short term insurance, and keep renewing it... Does anyone know about where and how to do this?

leelaplay

I'm not sure, but the new system Obama's setting up for people with a pre-existing medical condition that haven't had coverage for more than six months might work. I just posted an article from the nytimes on it. I think they have to use standard rates, not higher because of the condition.

Misfit Toy

I have medicare and medigap. I pay out of pocket for that and it's expensive. I have no prescription coverage. I am trying to figure out what to do. That being in a university sounds great! I am done with college though. DONE. Too tired. And I don't think we have that here in PA.

BEG

I have medicare and medigap. I pay out of pocket for that and it's expensive. I have no prescription coverage. I am trying to figure out what to do.

Spitfire, Who do you have your Medigap policy with? Is it an Advantage Plan? (Obama is phasing some of those out in 2011). My advantage plan comes with drug coverage. I 'm thinking of dropping the Advantage plan next year and picking up Medicare part D for drug coverage. I'll then just have Medicare. I don't know yet about the difference in cost.

BE G

Medicaid eligibility varies by state. For instance, in New York State, there's a program called Family Health Plus (which is run by Medicaid), that is for people whose income is low but too high to qualify for Medicaid.