• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What can I try to help with brain fog?

So for more then 3 years I have been suffering from severe brain fog and here is a list of things I tried/want to try
tried:
guanfacine (which helped but had to stop due to side effects)
Strattera (didn't help)
wellbutrin (helped slightly but had to stop due to side effects)
what im thinking about trying:
huperzine a
low histamine diet
effexor
prolonged fasting
also I feel like my sleep is disrupted and I did a at home sleep which came negative for sleep apnea but I will try to get a in lab one since I believe that I have a problem with my sleep which contributes to my symptoms
if anyone can recommend anything I would like to hear, thanks.

Wishful

I think you'll find many people here who have had brainfog for several decades, and are still looking for that magic treatment that will reduce brainfog. The most effective treatments I've found are avoiding the foods or activities that worsen it. I definitely have foods that worsen my brainfog, and that list changes over time. I recently had to give up chocolate after many years of it not being a problem. So sad. :(

As for sleep, I have sleep problems, but my brainfog doesn't seem to correlate with my sleep duration or quality. I don't think my sleep quality is affected by whatever causes the brainfog to be worse either.

I do recommend keeping a food/activity/symptoms journal, as detailed as you feel comfortable with. Then if you have a reduction in brainfog or other symptom, you can look back to maybe figure out what might have been responsible. Human memory is too fallible for this. Also, pay attention to any changes, since even a small reduction in a symptom might lead to a way to a bigger reduction.

hapl808

I wish I knew. At this point it's just random trial and error. My most recent random trial is some caffeine (just black tea) and inosine. I 'think' it helps, but doesn't last long at all.

The brain fog combined with the crashes from mental exertion are by far my worst symptom, and I can't even stand up unassisted. If I could just work on cognitively demanding tasks, then at least I could still have a life.

JES

Omega-3 used to help a little bit years ago. From drugs, LDN helped at least at first. For brain inflammation, something like curcumin or one of the supplements listed in this thread might do something if your brain fog is related to that.

So for more then 3 years I have been suffering from severe brain fog and here is a list of things I tried/want to try
tried:
guanfacine (which helped but had to stop due to side effects)
Strattera (didn't help)
wellbutrin (helped slightly but had to stop due to side effects)
what im thinking about trying:
huperzine a
low histamine diet
effexor
prolonged fasting
also I feel like my sleep is disrupted and I did a at home sleep which came negative for sleep apnea but I will try to get a in lab one since I believe that I have a problem with my sleep which contributes to my symptoms
if anyone can recommend anything I would like to hear, thanks.
You could try Vortioxetine. Or low dose SR Methylphenidate

Mary

Moderator Resource
@candycraash999 - take a look at this thread about B12 and co-factors helping a lot with brain fog: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ovide-a-similar-dose-to-b12-injections.75317/

B12 has helped a lot of people with brain fog and this thread talks about necessary co-factors for B12.

ETA: I found liquid methylcobalamin to be more effective than B12 injections. I put it under my tongue and let it get absorbed that way, instead of swallowing. At one time I did B12 injections (self-administered) several times a week for a couple of years off and on with no noticeable benefit, but when I started using liquid methylcobalamin - high dose, 5000 - 10000 mcg a day ) I finally got an increase in energy.

So the liquid methylcobalamin might be a viable option in place of transdermal oils - I think you'd have to experiment to find out for sure.

Last edited:

DonPepe

The only thing that eases my brain fog is some sort of benzodiazepine. Ativan, Clonazepam etc. I have to use Lorazepam ( Ativan ) about every two or three weeks. I only take one or two tablets because it’s highly addictive. The drug gives me a few hours respite.

Abilify helps when it works. My head becomes clearer for a few weeks before tolerance builds up ( and then I have to come off it ).

I, like all of us, am still on the hunt.

Back