• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What biology etc. book(s) should I read to understand ME research & theories?

Can I just say, thanks for this! If I hadn't found this thread I'd have started one myself. It just seems really important!

Actually, would this be an appropriate topic to pin?

Husband of

great thread. There are a number of books out there that are designed for the public. Are any of these useful or are they more just people explaining whatever theory helps them make money out of their supplements and programs?

eg cfs Unraveled, from fatigue to fantastic, etc.

one idea I had was trying to find one really good, important, research paper, and just using googling all the terms until I can understand the whole paper. Would anyone have a suggested article for this?

Pyrrhus

There are a number of books out there that are designed for the public. Are any of these useful
one idea I had was trying to find one really good, important, research paper, and just using googling all the terms until I can understand the whole paper.
I would go for the research paper, not the popular self-help books.

A good paper to start with would be the International Consensus Criteria for the diagnosis of ME:

Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria (Carruthers et al., 2011)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x

Emmarose47

Sarah myhill
Top m.e CFS doc in the UK has a website and books ...
It's mitochondria not hypochondria

Not sure how it fairs in the grand scheme of things but she seems pretty knowledgeable.
Don't know how much research she has been involved in ?