• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What about the DOGS?

Sing

I hadn't wondered about this question before you brought it up, Boule de feu, but it makes sense. I know that dogs can have Chronic Lyme disease.

With the poor quality food we usually give them--remember the scandal of the Chinese adding a toxic ingredient in order for the nitrogen=protein to test correctly? (The animals couldn't derive any protein from this ingredient, but it made the food test right, and this ingredient was poisoning them. A number were killed, as were babies in China who were given formula laced with the same thing.) The cheapest possible slurry of ingredients go into commercial animal food, even, I have heard, a lot of the high priced stuff--and it can amount to harmful trash in their bodies.

Then there are the formaldehyde laced carpets they lie and scratch on. Cats are having escalating amounts of thyroid disease, which I read may be linked to this source of formaldehyde.

Puddles and streams they drink from outside are often polluted.

So I think that they have a lot of sources of disease now. But, having said that, not all "bugs" are transferable from one species to another. We don't get everything they have and vice versa.

I hope that any more experiments are done on dogs to find out, either.

Sing

Boule de feu

I hadn't wondered about this question before you brought it up, Boule de feu, but it makes sense. I know that dogs can have Chronic Lyme disease.

With the poor quality food we usually give them--remember the scandal of the Chinese adding a toxic ingredient in order for the nitrogen=protein to test correctly? (The animals couldn't derive any protein from this ingredient, but it made the food test right, and this ingredient was poisoning them. A number were killed, as were babies in China who were given formula laced with the same thing.) The cheapest possible slurry of ingredients go into commercial animal food, even, I have heard, a lot of the high priced stuff--and it can amount to harmful trash in their bodies.

Then there are the formaldehyde laced carpets they lie and scratch on. Cats are having escalating amounts of thyroid disease, which I read may be linked to this source of formaldehyde.

Puddles and streams they drink from outside are often polluted.

So I think that they have a lot of sources of disease now. But, having said that, not all "bugs" are transferable from one species to another. We don't get everything they have and vice versa.

I hope that any more experiments are done on dogs to find out, either.

Sing

Dogs and cats do receive vaccines, too. I wonder how they make them. Possibly with the same contaminants as ours?

Sing

I expect their vaccines are made the same way. I've read that they get too many of them, especially dogs. Dogs are supposed to be "up to date" on their shots, to get annual shots for illnesses they have already been immunized against--in other words, a shot may convey immunity for say, 7 years, but legally have to be given every year. Some of these illnesses they are being vaccinated against are only very remote possibilities too. We bomb them with shots and systemic pesticides...

Countrygirl

=Boule de feu;122803]Dogs and cats do receive vaccines, too. I wonder how they make them. Possibly with the same contaminants as ours?

My dog was diagnosed by the vet as having 'doggie ME'. She became ill immediately having her third booster injection and remained sick for the rest of her long life. She also developed life-threatening MCS and her thyroid was affected. She became very allergic to carpet cleaners and other household products, and I frequently had to rush her to the vet because her reactions were so severe.

I have since read that the booster injections have now been found to be contaminated with retroviruses, as they are not well screened for contaminates. So, I'm not sure if I infected her with a virus which was activated by the vaccine or whether the vaccine itself was contaminated. The vet noted that her illness seemed to reflect mine. This makes me unwilling to have another dog, although I would dearly love one in case I was responsible for infecting my first one. I couldn't risk inflicting this on any animal again.

C.G.

Boule de feu

My dog was diagnosed by the vet as having 'doggie ME'. She became ill immediately having her third booster injection and remained sick for the rest of her long life. She also developed life-threatening MCS and her thyroid was affected. She became very allergic to carpet cleaners and other household products, and I frequently had to rush her to the vet because her reactions were so severe.

I have since read that the booster injections have now been found to be contaminated with retroviruses, as they are not well screened for contaminates. So, I'm not sure if I infected her with a virus which was activated by the vaccine or whether the vaccine itself was contaminated. The vet noted that her illness seemed to reflect mine. This makes me unwilling to have another dog, although I would dearly love one in case I was responsible for infecting my first one. I couldn't risk inflicting this on any animal again.

C.G.

I am so sorry for your dog and I can understand why you are so reluctant to have another one.

What type of symptoms did she have when you had to rush her to the vet?

You mentioned that you have read that booster injections are contaminated with retroviruses. Do you have a link on this? It would be interesting to read about it.

IntuneJune

Our belovved dog

One of our beloved dogs was treated for Lyme disease.......... (about 10 years ago).

However, was I was diagnosed LONG before (20 years) with FMS..... and had a different dog and many cats over the years. but now am having MORE problems.

???????????????????

June

Boule de feu

One of our beloved dogs was treated for Lyme disease.......... (about 10 years ago).

However, was I was diagnosed LONG before (20 years) with FMS..... and had a different dog and many cats over the years. but now am having MORE problems.

???????????????????

June

I'm not quite sure I understand your message and the question marks at the end, and YOU PROBABLY KNOW ALREADY what I am about to write. So, just go along with what will follow, and then tell me which one it is... ;-)

In humans, lyme disease is caused by a tick which is infected by Borrelia burgdorferi (a bacteria). I don't know if it is the same process for dogs. But if so, your dog had to be bitten by one to catch the illness. The same goes for you.

CFS is not caused by an infected tick (well, at least we don't think so - but nothing would surprise me anymore).
FMS is not caused by an infected tick either (well, at least we don't... see above statement).

So, are you worried that you might be at risk because your dog was sick and you might have caught what your dog had (lyme disease)? Do you recall being in an area with your dog where ticks are known to be found? Have you been tested for Lyme yourself?

Or you are worried that over the years you have infected your dogs and cats?
I don't think FMS is contagious... is it?

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
A vet who lives locally to me in the UK (farming area) developed CFS. He also noted that horses get it and spent several years studying the illness. Eventually he recovered to the point where he could travel and used to give lectures about this around the world. I don't know if he still does, but could find out.

If the MLV's are polytropic and xenotropic they will be able to affect animals and humans (ie across all species - except mice if they are X). I kept rabbits when I was young and used to hold them up to my face to cuddle them. I often had eye and sinus swelling and face hives from this, but didn't think anything of it for years, until recently.

Also, one possibility I haven't heard mentioned v often is that animals have worm (nematode) parasites. These can be microscopically small and also harbour Lyme disease bacteria and other pathogens. It may be worm parasites that give rise to the inflammatory symptoms and hyper immune activation, as opposed to/in addition to the actual pathogens. There is more info about research into this on some Lyme websites.

Boule de feu

Thank you for the new info, picture of health.
I didn't know about Lyme and nematodes in animals. I will look into that.

I know CFS exists in horses. I have read a few things on that, too.
It would be very interesting to read what this vet has to say about CFS in animals. I would have a few questions...

I know also that rabbits, cats, and dogs can have infections. When I was very little (2 or 3 years old), I used to play with rabbits. My grandparents (they had a farm) would sit me right in the middle of them (I have kept some pictures) and I would pull them by the ears.

I also worked in a lab with albino mice. I got bitten a few times. I don't know if it could be related...

IntuneJune

I'm not quite sure I understand your message and the question marks at the end, and YOU PROBABLY KNOW ALREADY what I am about to write. So, just go along with what will follow, and then tell me which one it is... ;-)

In humans, lyme disease is caused by a tick which is infected by Borrelia burgdorferi (a bacteria). I don't know if it is the same process for dogs. But if so, your dog had to be bitten by one to catch the illness. The same goes for you.

CFS is not caused by an infected tick (well, at least we don't think so - but nothing would surprise me anymore).
FMS is not caused by an infected tick either (well, at least we don't... see above statement).

So, are you worried that you might be at risk because your dog was sick and you might have caught what your dog had (lyme disease)? Do you recall being in an area with your dog where ticks are known to be found? Have you been tested for Lyme yourself?

Or you are worried that over the years you have infected your dogs and cats?
I don't think FMS is contagious... is it?

Boule de feu, I live in Rhode Island not too far away from Lyme Connecticut.......where the disease was first "discovered." Long before THAT, I had the infamous bull's eye rash and Lyme was unknown at that time. Years and years later, when the news was out, I asked to be tested, my titers came back negative, they have been run a few times over the years, always negative...... However we know titers can be false negatives.

I did OK over the years after that rash....pain....some tiredness.... but I am now worse, by quite a bit. I have no idea if my dog having Lyme affected me in any way....I had not come to that conculsion before.... it was some time ago.............

The ????????????? were my way of saying "who knows?" There are so many questions surfacing.... but there is a song....The Circle Of Life..... that keeps playing in my mind's background.

Hummmmmmm

Fondly, June

taniaaust1

Ive often wondered about our pets.. my daughter had a pet rat for many years who was more treated like the family dog and intermiggled with my cat and rabbits. They'd all play together.

My own animals seem to die of cancer... my horse got cancer and so did my cat. Could i have spread XMRV or something similar to my horse.. used to allow my horse to share my iceblocks. My horse got huge cancer lumps around his genitals (dont know where it started... could my horse had prostate cancer??). i ended up having to have him put down due to it.

Boule de feu

Boule de feu, I live in Rhode Island not too far away from Lyme Connecticut.......where the disease was first "discovered." Long before THAT, I had the infamous bull's eye rash and Lyme was unknown at that time. Years and years later, when the news was out, I asked to be tested, my titers came back negative, they have been run a few times over the years, always negative...... However we know titers can be false negatives.

I did OK over the years after that rash....pain....some tiredness.... but I am now worse, by quite a bit. I have no idea if my dog having Lyme affected me in any way....I had not come to that conculsion before.... it was some time ago.............

The ????????????? were my way of saying "who knows?" There are so many questions surfacing.... but there is a song....The Circle Of Life..... that keeps playing in my mind's background.

Hummmmmmm

Fondly, June

Are you being treated for Lyme right now? The fact that you had the rash, doesn't it make it official? Isn't Lyme a progressive disease?

Boule de feu

So sorry for your horse! It must have been a very difficult time... =-(

My brother also had a black rat (with the long tail). He would go to school with it, and was always carrying it on his shoulder. My brother seems healthy now (except for Raynaud's) but he is about 10 years younger than I am. So, he might get sick too, eventually.

Merry

Hi, Boule de feu. Sorry to go off topic again, but in reponse to your post about your brother with Raynaud's, I just wanted to say that I have two first cousins on my mother's side with Raynaud's. A lot of auto-immune diseases in the family. I listed them on some other thread (weeks ago) but can't remember which one.

Merry

IntuneJune

Boule de feu,

I had the bull's eye rash well over 30+ years ago now. A chiropractor found it, it was on the lumbar portion of my spine. During that time, my husband and I brought our three sons camping frequently. Years later when I became aware of Lyme and asked for the titers, and they came back negative, the doctors would not treat.

June

Boule de feu

Hi, Boule de feu. Sorry to go off topic again, but in reponse to your post about your brother with Raynaud's, I just wanted to say that I have two first cousins on my mother's side with Raynaud's. A lot of auto-immune diseases in the family. I listed them on some other thread (weeks ago) but can't remember which one.

Merry

I have erythro which is related, I believe.
Do you have any auto-immune diseases?

Boule de feu

Boule de feu,

I had the bull's eye rash well over 30+ years ago now. A chiropractor found it, it was on the lumbar portion of my spine. During that time, my husband and I brought our three sons camping frequently. Years later when I became aware of Lyme and asked for the titers, and they came back negative, the doctors would not treat.

June

Did you have a lot of symptoms, then?

Merry

Boule de feu,

What is erythro? A blood disorder? I found something on erythroblasts.

I have ME/CFS. Nothing else that I know of, but I haven't been to a doctor in years. The only person I ever heard call CFS an auto-immune disorder was a friend who was simply comparing my fate to that of his mother's who had MS, and he labeled both auto-immune, although he knows next to nothing about ME/CFS.

I just read on another thread that you aren't doing well. I'm sorry.

Merry

Boule de feu

Boule de feu,

What is erythro? A blood disorder? I found something on erythroblasts.

I have ME/CFS. Nothing else that I know of, but I haven't been to a doctor in years. The only person I ever heard call CFS an auto-immune disorder was a friend who was simply comparing my fate to that of his mother's who had MS, and he labeled both auto-immune, although he knows next to nothing about ME/CFS.

I just read on another thread that you aren't doing well. I'm sorry.

Merry

I'm sorry I did not write the full name. It is erythromelalgia. It is considered a peripheral arterial disease.
Wikipedia has a pretty good definition. Some doctors believe it is an auto-immune disease. There is inflammation and we know there is an immune problem, so it is possible.

Don't worry I will probably get better in a couple of days. That is how it goes, usually. Until the next time... pfff ! (lol)