• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wet sensation

PracticingAcceptance

This is a new symptom. It happened for the second time today.

A couple of days ago I felt like warm water was trickling down my leg - as if I'd wet myself or my period had started. It happened while I was in the supermarket. I checked and I was dry - nothing had happened, it was just a sensation without an external cause.

Then today I felt like my finger was wet and I touched it with another finger but it wasn't wet.

Is this a common symptom that can happen after overexertion? Or should I get it checked out if I keep getting it? Either something is going wrong with my skin, or with my brain.

alkt

I have had hot and cold sensations that feel like running water in both legs for a very long time I always put it down to pressure on the nerves in my lower spine . it can be very unsettling especially if it occurs just after going the toilet for obvious reasons .

Runner5

So odd, I had this happen to me the other day, I couldn't believe reading this that other people had experienced that also. I thought I had sat down in water and I was very embarrassed and couldn't check myself out to see if I was dry or wet so I tied my sweater around my waist.

Hugo

Ive had something similair, but just one day and I never had it again. But someone I know have it all the time. This person has MS so if you have more symptoms of neurological nature that could be MS I would recommend going to a neurologist and rule that out.

pattismith

This is a new symptom. It happened for the second time today.

A couple of days ago I felt like warm water was trickling down my leg - as if I'd wet myself or my period had started. It happened while I was in the supermarket. I checked and I was dry - nothing had happened, it was just a sensation without an external cause.

Then today I felt like my finger was wet and I touched it with another finger but it wasn't wet.

Is this a common symptom that can happen after overexertion? Or should I get it checked out if I keep getting it? Either something is going wrong with my skin, or with my brain.

I had that strange and frightening sensation during some weeks/months at a time, while standing. It can be either a neurologic either a circulatory problem.

At that time I was spending a lot of time in my bed with my laptop on my thighs, and I finally found that it was causing a circulatory problem; I bought a tablet with feet to put my laptop on it in my bed, so that I didn't have anymore pressure on my legs, and it worked!

I hope you will find the cause.

hangininthere

I've had that feeling a few times this year that my lower leg near ankle is wet, a cold wet, as if my pajama leg bottom hem got wet and touched my leg. It happens when I get up off the toilet and am washing hands, as if my pant leg got wet from floor, but the floor's not wet nor my pants or leg. Very puzzling. I've been thinking when it happens that it's definitely some kind of nerve/brain misinformation happening.

Patti

Last edited:

Hugo

I had that strange and frightening sensation during some weeks/months at a time, while standing. It can be either a neurologic either a circulatory problem.

At that time I was spending a lot of time in my bed with my laptop on my thighs, and I finally found that it was causing a circulatory problem; I bought a tablet with feet to put my laptop on it in my bed, so that I didn't have anymore pressure on my legs, and it worked!

I hope you will find the cause.

Interesting. Ive had several other problems of this nature. Like a strange nerve sensation because of a pressure from a rather heavy book I was reading, it lasted several days and was really awkward and nearly impossible to explain.

pattismith

this is the table I use now to support my laptop

1300_205977a_0515.jpg

PracticingAcceptance

Thanks for all your responses. That makes it seem like it's a relatively common symptom for people with CFS. The way you all describe it, it sounds like it really is the same kind of symptom - it genuinely feels like there's water there but it's dry. What a strange trick of the mind.

Has anyone actually gone to a doctor about this particular symptom? If so, what did they say?

Recently I asked a doctor about a symptom I infrequently have which I suspect is not harmful. When I put my head down on massage tables to have a back massage, when I get up I have blurred vision for a minute. The doctor said it was probably because of my neck position cutting off circulation. It was nice to have an explanation.

Equally I suspect this water sensation symptom is not harmful and is probably as a result of too much stress on the body, from time to time. None of you seem to be tormented with it constantly.

@pattismith what's that tablet called - what should I put in the search engine?

alkt

Thanks for all your responses. That makes it seem like it's a relatively common symptom for people with CFS. The way you all describe it, it sounds like it really is the same kind of symptom - it genuinely feels like there's water there but it's dry. What a strange trick of the mind.

Has anyone actually gone to a doctor about this particular symptom? If so, what did they say?

Recently I asked a doctor about a symptom I infrequently have which I suspect is not harmful. When I put my head down on massage tables to have a back massage, when I get up I have blurred vision for a minute. The doctor said it was probably because of my neck position cutting off circulation. It was nice to have an explanation.

Equally I suspect this water sensation symptom is not harmful and is probably as a result of too much stress on the body, from time to time. None of you seem to be tormented with it constantly.

@pattismith what's that tablet called - what should I put in the search engine?
it doesn't torment me as such because I understand it to be caused by pressure on the nerves caused by excessive wear and tear of some vertebrae in my lower spine , I do not think any physical damage irritating a nerve should ever be referred to as a trick of the mind .

PracticingAcceptance

it doesn't torment me as such because I understand it to be caused by pressure on the nerves caused by excessive wear and tear of some vertebrae in my lower spine , I do not think any physical damage irritating a nerve should ever be referred to as a trick of the mind .

@alkt I think I misunderstood. I don't know anything about nerves (and my ability to take in information is currently awful) so I filtered that out and focused on the possible brain/neurological reason that other people were giving. Sorry about that. I'm still probably not able to properly take in the info on this thread.

Is 'trick of the mind' an appropriate phrase to describe this wet sensation if it were a neurological issue?

pattismith

I don't know if people here are still experiencing the hot water sensation.
But I think I finally found the cause (at least in my case).
Peripheral neuropathy of the small fibers (SFN or SFPN) is the cause of both sensory and autonomic disorders.

Tingling in hands and feet are the commonest symptoms of SFN, but they are a lot more signs that are overlooked.

I started to have tingling only last summer, when I had a flare of hyperthyroid auto-immunity.
At the same time, menopausal made my autonomic system even worse.
Pain, tachycardia and arythmia were very bad.

After 5 months working on diet and supplementation and taking female hormons, my thyroid antibodies level lowered and my night sweats disappeared, so I thought the symptoms of SFN would disappear with thyroid regularization.... But it didn't.
The sensory/autonomic disorders are still here.

Thinking about it, I suspect these disorders are present from the bigining of my illness, 30 years ago, even though tingling is only a very recent concern.

The hot water feeling on my leg was probably one of the symptoms I got from SFN.

I encourage people who experience this kind of sensory disorder to have their nerve tested, and especially their Small Fibers (usually it means a skin biopsy)

valentinelynx

Apparently, the sensation of water dripping on your legs is a sign of adhesive arachnoiditis. I learned this from Forest Tennant, MD, who was my pain doctor for years before the DEA drove him out of business 2 years ago. He is currently dedicated to researching and spreading the word on this underdiagnosed cause of severe intractable pain. See his website here.

Of course, since arachnoiditis is a type of nerve injury, it may well be that other types of nerve or spinal cord injury may cause this symptom.

PracticingAcceptance

@pattismith does a skin biopsy mean they cut a bit of skin off?
I get very cold feet and hands, and it feels almost painful to be cold, so I have suspected SFN before.
Since I've been on anti-virals, I stopped experiencing zapping pains and wet sensations.

Rufous McKinney

Is 'trick of the mind' an appropriate phrase to describe this wet sensation if it were a neurological issue?

It very well could be- neurological, some mis-translation of neural input...

Like when at times the smell is altered...or the taste is wrong...I have some of that and feel its neurological...and I"ve had that happen when Im particularly run down.

(or have you discovered the latest ME diagnostic? phantom wetness!

xebex

As far as I am aware there are two types of nerve problem one is physical nerve damage the other would be the nerves not getting or being sent jumbled messages due to signals in the brain being messed up, not a trick of the mind as such but it is not physical damage either. Temporary Facial paralysis due to hypoxia In the blood vessels which interrupts nerve firing in hemiplegic migraine comes to mind. I have suffered many types of strange nerve symptoms including the wet feeling, numbness, paralysis and also sunburn feeling and sciatic nerve pain mostnin these sensations are related to my migraine and nerves temporarily not firing right, the sciatic nerve pain could potentially be physical damage but hard to say as it comes and goes. Sometimes doesn’t crop up for months.

pattismith

@pattismith does a skin biopsy mean they cut a bit of skin off?
I get very cold feet and hands, and it feels almost painful to be cold, so I have suspected SFN before.
Since I've been on anti-virals, I stopped experiencing zapping pains and wet sensations.
Most SFN signs are non specific and every Fibro and ME/CFS patients should be tested for it.
There is a very simple way to test if your autonomic SFN is impaired: the finger wrinkle test:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...before-tilt-table-testing.77607/#post-2229533

;;