• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird sounds in my ear that comes and goes.

ChookityPop

I have these weird sounds in my right ear that comes and goes.

I seem to trigger it if I strain my neck sometimes. Its very hard to explain the sound but it sounds something like super distant or low frequency wind/storm/rumbling. I often get noise sensitive when this happens as well.

Could it be CCI/spine related? Pulsatile tinnitus?

Last edited:

lenora

I hate to reply this way, but anything could be causing your problem. Is there anything easy to figure out....not likely.

If you strain you neck and the sound appears, then it sounds like it's coming from that. Any chance of trying to remember the problem and not move your neck in that direction.

It's possible that it could be coming from CCI or spine related, but many things are caused by these problems. If you're seeing a doctor who can help, please ask him/her. You may be able to replicate the symptoms. Lenora

I have these weird sounds in my right ear that comes and goes.

I seem to trigger it if I strain my neck sometimes. Its very hard to explain the sound but it sounds something like super distant or low frequency wind/storm/rumbling. I often get noise sensitive when this happens as well.

Could it be CCI/spine related? Pulsatile tinnitus?

This sounds like pulsatile tinnitus as that often sounds like a distant storm rumbling—it is caused by the sound of blood flowing turbulently through blood vessels. Does the sound 'pulse' slightly? The video below shows what it can objectively sound like. My pulsatile tinnitus subjectively sounds more 'washed out' than this, but I can tell it is synced to heart beating (which is what pulsatile tinnitus is).

ChookityPop

This sounds like pulsatile tinnitus as that often sounds like a distant storm rumbling—it is caused by the sound of blood flowing turbulently through blood vessels. Does the sound 'pulse' slightly? The video below shows what it can objectively sound like. My pulsatile tinnitus subjectively sounds more 'washed out' than this, but I can tell it is synced to heart beating (which is what pulsatile tinnitus is).

thanks for sharing this. I dont think it is synched with my heart beat but I will pay attention next time and see.

lenora

I wear foam earplugs and get that heartbeat sound. I've noticed that if I'm on my back, it isn't as obvious and sometimes doesn't exist at all. Try deep breathing exercises. They may help....just two or so. It seems to settle things down. Yours, Lenora

Tammy

I've had all kinds of snap crackle and popping sounds............wind/storm/rumbling sounds..............on and off also but in my left ear. It's much better now though than it used to be.

I have a strong suggestion for a rule out at least, depending on your age. Have your carotid arteries checked for blockage. A relative of mine had his plugged and told me he heard strange sounds at night, like a whooshing type of sound. It was the blood trying to get through the restricted passage. If you have any energy to go to docs and get an ultrasound its a fairly simple thing to rule out. Besides... if you are older these can be blocked normally.