• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird changes in brain fog

Mimicry

I have noticed that my brain fog is different than before. When it was bad I used to have trouble with... Everything from spatial awareness to communication. But for the last couple months I've managed to cook and do chores almost every day yet speaking aloud, processing speech and controlling my facial expressions in social situations seem very draining and strenuous. I can write and read fine most days when my eye symptoms aren't too bad and I'm chatting with friends online all the time, but it's the IRL social situations that are causing trouble. This is especially annoying because I'm an extrovert and usually I get very much joy from social situations. Now they just leave me exhausted and confused and a bit ashamed because I feel like I can't "play human" properly 😅

I've been processing some severe childhood trauma stuff and am wondering if there's something emanating from my childhood causing me to have this weird symptom. I have a dissociative disorder (OSDD1) and I guess it could explain some of it. I've also been wondering for years if I might be autistic, and if the trauma processing is causing me to unwillingly unmask so much that I legit forget how to control my face and process speech. Another theory of mine is that because I've had covid + two bouts of cold/flu during the last two months, the inflammation in my brain has somehow moved into the area in my frontal lobe that controls speech. I also had a middle ear infection in my left ear, could it have somehow affected the left frontal lobe?

Any insights and similar experiences are welcome! Thanks in advance ❤️

Wishful

I think it's just a matter of "ME changes". I develop odd intolerances, which may go away and maybe come back again. I had neuropathic pain, which went away and has now returned. Just changes. Viral infections seem a reasonable cause of changes, but my changes occurred without them.

It's especially annoying when the changes prevent you from doing something you enjoy. :(

Why can't we get some ME changes that allow us to enjoy something? Christmas is soon. A positive ME change would be a nice present.

Rufous McKinney

I think it's just a matter of "ME changes".

I think it has alot to do with what's swelling today? Since whats inflaming and swelling varies alot, imagine areas of the lower brain stem or other key brain anatomy, being challenged by simply being more "compressed, squeezed, weakened, or other".

Why can't we get some ME changes that allow us to enjoy something

You mean like last night when my husband wanted to watch this stand up comedian I had to turn it off? (its the verbal assault/ a continuous eruption of words and sentences and me trying to follow the funny person.)

Oh gosh give me some quiet woods and a few sentences of dialogue. Once and a while, Netflix Delivers.

Husband of

Have you had issues with your voice? What about more digestive issues recently? Just wondering if it could relate to vagus nerve

I also noticed some changes in my cognitive symptoms after getting colds, for example a couple of days ago I got the flu and I've been much more sensitive to loud auditory stimuli, to the point of avoiding videocalls or watching films.

Also I feel like my usual brain fog resembles a state of malaise similar to that caused by the flu, so having both together makes the symptoms quite worse.

Mimicry

I've been a lot better for a couple days, have been able to chat with my boyfriend normally and had less weakness and dizziness. A friend is coming over on Saturday, let's see how my brain will handle that 😁

Fun fact, I used myself as a guinea pig and tried a course of antivirals (acyclovir) for 8 days or so. A day after starting it I developed another "cold" that got worse and worse, and two days after stopping it I became much better. I was able to plow the 20 cm layer of snow from our yard yesterday, it took me an hour and I was covered in sweat afterwards but I felt... Good. Like normal, "endorphins after strenuous exercise" good. Now I'm sore and tired but it doesn't really feel like PEM yet. Could be a coincidence and have nothing to do with the acyclovir but... Who knows? Maybe there was a viral component that's been cleared up.

Mimicry

Have you had issues with your voice? What about more digestive issues recently? Just wondering if it could relate to vagus nerve

I don't think so, nothing worse than usual at least. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my vagus nerve though. I need to do some exercises to calm it down.