• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Week 11 on Valcyte

undcvr

A few days ago I got my blood test results back. Not only have I been feeling really lousy in the deep of winter and my HHV6 levels never dropped and my EBV came back too. I recently only convinced my doc to put me back on 1800mg Valcyte. This dose is what I foresee myself to be on for the next few months.

So for now no short-term/immdiate side effects on Valcyte. I have countered all of that with SLO. It seems to be working. Long term, I dont know. All the Lerner studies show his patients being on Valcyte for 6 months or more. I am not sure if I want to be on it for that long given what it can do cytotoxically. I am considering Vistide but that can screw my kidneys. Ah, I love my life and the decisions I have to make while living it. Cant wait for it to be over.

I am functionable, as long as I dont exert myself. That also includes walking in the cold, I just break out into a sweat perspiring profusely. Proboost seems to help with this on days that I take it. Otherwise as long as I stay indoor-bound and dont excercise I am pretty ok. Mind fog is still there.

I am also looking into Avonex. PR mentioned that Dr Chia supposedly cured his son with beta-interferon and AVs. I have thought of this combo myself but it was with Pegasys and Ribivirin. Chia's theory seems sound and worth looking into if my insurance will pay. This way I dont have to go hunting for all the pathogens that I maybe infected with and just hit them all with one therapy, much more preferable and much less poking. I like.

Ema

I am also looking into Avonex. PR mentioned that Dr Chia supposedly cured his son with beta-interferon and AVs. I have thought of this combo myself but it was with Pegasys and Ribivirin. Chia's theory seems sound and worth looking into if my insurance will pay. This way I dont have to go hunting for all the pathogens that I maybe infected with and just hit them all with one therapy, much more preferable and much less poking. I like.

@undcvr, did you ever try Avonex?

Ema

undcvr

no never did I understand that some herbs like licorice induce interferon production and it is the even better alpha interferon, i went that route instead

Ema

no never did I understand that some herbs like licorice induce interferon production and it is the even better alpha interferon, i went that route instead
I thought that licorice induced interferon gamma. Does it also induce interferon alpha?

This article suggests that interferon alpha is no good for people with MS. Since ME/CFS and MS share so many commonalities, I wonder what the implication is for us.

In testing, interferon alpha had no effect on MS and interferon gamma made MS worse. Interferon beta was found effective. The reason for this difference is not known.

Have you seen studies showing the benefit of interferon alpha in ME/CFS?

undcvr

I cannot remember what tests I looked up but I have CFS and I took Licorice and Andrographis and they did help me, quite alot I would say