• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Web MD - ME Patients Face Blood Donation Ban

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
UK

Extract:

"However, Dr Charles Shepherd, medical advisor to the ME Association, described the reason given for the ban as “disingenuous”. The ME Association believes that the new rules are motivated by concerns that ME may be caused by a virus that can be transmitted through blood."

The full article (which has also been reviewed & passed for publication by a Dr Rob Hicks), can be viewed here:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/news/20101008/me-patients-face-blood-donation-ban

Wow, Dr Shepherd is really in fine form this week !!! "Disingenuous" - love it!! - you rock!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I see your Web MD and I raise you... the Himalayan Times! Yes, we've broken into the big time!

Seriously, I agree that the MEA has done a really good job in pressing so hard for a UK blood donation ban and getting it into the press. Fantastic that Dr Shepherd managed to get "HIV-like virus" and "public panic" into that Radio 4 interview. I hope people in the UK are starting to learn how serious this is.

Enid

Great news isn't it. Beginning to take us more seriously now.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes, who know the Himalayan Times existed? 10 points, please (or perhaps the glory of discovery ought to be its own reward!).

I have a feeling that Web MD will have more impact, though!

Actually, just found this on GovToday, which describes itself as "the UK's online resource for the Public Sector". Interesting that it's not just covering the story but the ME Association's claim that the official line is a whitewash.

CBS

Safeguarding donors

Up until now, blood donors with a history of ME have been eligible to give blood as long as they had made a full recovery and felt well. However, NHS Blood and Transplant says, because ME is a condition where people can relapse and become ill again, donor’s need to be safeguarded by ensuring their condition is not made worse by giving blood.
It says the ban on blood donations brings ME into line with other relapsing or neurological conditions of uncertain or unknown origin, such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s Disease.
Since when did any governmental agency give a damn about ME/CFS patients? Oh yeah, ever since it was suggested that we might infect THEM.

It's so sweet of them to go from dismissive and derisive to paternalistic and disingenuous.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Is it in fact true that patients with MS and Parkinson's are banned from giving blood in the UK?

I've given blood numerous times (in the US) and I don't recall any questions about MS or Parkinson's in the questionnaire that they make you do every...single...time.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Hi Urban, the only info I have on this is from the UK's ME Association website.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=2330

If you click on this link, you will find another direct link to the original Media Statement/Press Release letter from the National Health Service Blood & Transplant office (NHSBT) which issued the news about the blood donor ban - which mentions MS and Parkinson's.

There is also a contact name there if you wanted to check things out further - but not sure if its just for the Press.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Russian news media

Sorry - 3 messages from me in a row!

The MEA reports that apparently the UK blood ban for ME patients has also been covered in the Russian news media - but I don't yet have a link for this.

Would the Moderators be able to change the name of this thread to: 'Press Coverage of UK DoH Blood Ban for ME/CFS Patients' please?