• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

We have two choices in Life, surrender to our condition or search for answers.

SWAlexander

Maybe we find no healing in both, but our dignity remains.

I couldn't give up, so discovered and received two whammies at once.
Years of searching for answers were useless because there was no inclusive research available.
Today I have found answers that explain in part my condition today. The question remains, is it part of ME/CFS?

I know I was not well since early childhood, but I know for sure that my health changed even more after sepsis, in July 2016. Any effort to get an answer to why I have all these new symptoms since the lumbar spinal hardware infection was minimized by all doctors in NM.

Original text UNMH:
"Lumbar spinal hardware infection, Data 4/7/16 Body fluid back lumbar spine superficial GS/CX: very rare growth: bacteremia: Staph epidermis and Peptostreptococcus, Peptostreptococcus, one colony Staph caprae, Corynebacterium species:
Treatment: via PICC 8 weeks antibiotics Vancomycin."

Today I know and would like to share it.
Vancomycin Flushing Syndrome: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29494112/
Including Red Man Syndrome among other side effects.

Describing Sepsis as a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Disease: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.122.028882

Cardiovascular Events Among Survivors of Sepsis Hospitalization: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.122.027813

Tammy

I didn't have any infection related to my lumbar hardware.................but I am curious who your Surgeon was? I also live in NM but got my surgery done in in El Paso Tx.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

maybe its irrelevant, but my husband experienced a staph infection of the skin.

Picked it up walking on a remote beach. On his toe. It took two years to get rid of it, diagnosis was very hard.

Well, that staph came back six days after his second Pfizer booster...he had to take the very serious antibiotics for it.

I strongly suspect it lurks. It hides.

Anchoress

It remains quiescant, inactive until and unless a further infection challenges/ reactivates it. That has been known for a long time.

SWAlexander

It remains quiescant, inactive until and unless a further infection challenges/ reactivates it. That has been known for a long time.

If Covid can reactivate dormant Herpes, EBV etc. why not staph.
I´m researching Endothelial dysfunction. Lots of publications confirm thrombosis due to inflamation damaged Endothelial. Any more infections, regardless of what kind, stroke, heart attack and brain dysfunction, at all ages, will be inevitable. Nobody can live with damaged endothelium. As long as there is no repair for damaged endothelium it will be the early death of millions in a short time.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Immunometabolism and Sepsis: A Role for HIF?

Abstract
Metabolic reprogramming of innate immune cells occurs during both the hyperinflammatory and immunotolerant phases of sepsis. The hypoxia inducible factor (HIF) signaling pathway plays a vital role in regulating these metabolic changes. This review initially summarizes the HIF-driven changes in metabolic dynamics of innate immune cells in response to sepsis. The hyperinflammatory phase of sepsis is accompanied by a metabolic switch from oxidative phosphorylation to HIF-1α mediated glycolysis. Furthermore, HIF driven alterations in arginine metabolism also occur during this phase. This promotes sepsis pathophysiology and the development of clinical symptoms. These early metabolic changes are followed by a late immunotolerant phase, in which suppressed HIF signaling promotes a switch from aerobic glycolysis to fatty acid oxidation, with a subsequent anti-inflammatory response developing. Recently the molecular mechanisms controlling HIF activation during these early and late phases have begun to be elucidated. In the final part of this review the contribution of toll-like receptors, transcription factors, metabolic intermediates, kinases and reactive oxygen species, in governing the HIF-induced metabolic reprogramming of innate immune cells will be discussed. Importantly, understanding these regulatory mechanisms can lead to the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies targeting the HIF-dependent metabolic state of innate immune cells.

- In healthy individuals, there is a balance between energy input and energy output. However, in septic patients, this energy balance is significantly altered.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6742688/

Last edited:

Anchoress

I am a very simple soul. My life is about doing as much as I can for others within my limits. Not involving in what I can do nothing about. I do what I can and all I can. It is not very much but every little helps someone, Just now knitting what will sell to buy food for those who else would have none as I am so thankful that I am well provided for. This illness robbed me of using my skills and the attitides and actions of other robbed me of their respect etc but no one can steal my caring and expressing that caring within the narrow confines that are mine.. It is not the illness that robs after all. Unless it has accomplices!