• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waking up most every night between 1AM and 3AM

I've done a bit of research, and it sounds like the issue is likely related to my adrenals. What tests would rule-in or rule-out this theory? 24-hour cortisol study? I have also read that in addition to cortisol issues, adrenaline surges and insulin spikes can cause a similar response. I had a cortisol study done a few years back - can't recall whether it was via blood or urine or other details - but the results suggested that my levels were inverted. I think my doctor recommended ashwaganda...in addition to a daily regimen of adrenal support supplements. I also have reactive hypoglycemia, so often have insatiable cravings. ME/CFS has greatly effected me cognitively, which has made treatment more difficult. I'm regrouping, with the mind-set that first increasing qualitative sleep, best I can, will help me to better understand ME/CFS and be a better patient. Anyone here take Seriphos? Not sure if I should sample or have the tests above first? TIA

Wishful

I can't remember the last time I slept the whole night without waking up several times. The sleep disturbance occurred gradually partway through my ME. I don't know whether hormones are involved, and I think hormone management is too complex for me to find a solution to without serious side-effects, so I haven't bothered.

The most common trigger for my early morning insomnia is easily-digested carbs: sugars or refined starches, consumed between late morning and early evening. I seem to be less sensitive to late evening carbs, but probably not insensitive (haven't tested that). I suggest experimenting with dietary changes, such as switching to low-glycemic index foods, to see if that has any effect. That's safer than mucking around with hormones, so I'd try that first.

I wake up about 1- 6 times a night as well. I try taking random things to keep asleep such as LDN, high level of Melatonin, and cold medicine, and nothing helped. The worst part is when you wake up and can't sleep for a couple hours.

Wishful

I forgot to mention the other thing that started giving me insomnia in the last year: physical activity after around 2 PM. I used to be able to do things such as evening walks without problems, but now if I do those things too late in the day, I'll wake up in the early AM and not be able to fall asleep again.

Melatonin and 5-HTP (precursor to serotonin and melatonin) both will help me fall asleep, but only for a couple of hours. Taking it too late (after 4 AM) leaves me groggy for part of the day, so I avoid that. I only bother with melatonin or 5-HTP if I'm really, really desperate for sleep.

I haven't found anything else that improves my sleep. If I avoid the known triggers for insomnia, I usually manage to get enough hours of sleep. I'd rather sleep longer, since while unconscious, I'm not suffering ME symptoms... :sleep: