• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vote once for each of two ME orgs from anywhere to win £2000

snowathlete

We won this competition in the March run with Invest in ME winning the top price of £2000. With your help we can win £3000 in June because we have two ME organizations in the running this month (The ME Association and ME Research UK) and you are allowed to vote for BOTH.

First place wins £2000.
Second place wins £1000.
You need either Facebook, Google or you can vote by post. Voting is open internationally.

SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO VOTE:
1. Click HERE to vote for the "ME Association"
2. Scroll down and click "Vote for this cause"
5. Click "login with Facebook" or "login with Google"
6. Click "OK" to letting the sponsors of this compeition (DirectDebit) see your friends list on Facebook of Google+)
7. Click "OK" if you want it to post to Facebook of Google+ on your behalf, or click "Skip"
8. Click HERE to vote for "ME Research UK"
9. Repeat above steps as necesary.

If you prefer to vote by post, then send a postcard including your name, address and the name of the charity you are voting for (you can probably write both on the same postcard), to:
The Big Break, 131-151 Great Titchfield Street, London W1W 5BB.

Once you've voted, dont forget to tell your friends, family, neighbours, church, etc. about this and ask them to vote too!

If you want to recieve email notifications of competitions like this in the future then there is a free service you can sign up to - details can be found in this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/free-me-cfs-competition-voting-reminders.22105/

Thanks!

*GG*

Done.

Not sure what happened to this step?: "6. Click "OK" to letting the sponsors of this compeition (DirectDebit) see your friends list on Facebook of Google+)"

Did not have to do anything, tried to vote again, and said I already voted, so all appears done.

GG

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just got your announcement via Co-Cure, Joel - well done for getting this out in the first five minutes of the contest!

I'm writing an article on this for Phoenix Rising, which should help with visibility - I've had to wait until I knew for sure who was in the contest so now I can crack on with it.

snowathlete

Done.

Not sure what happened to this step?: "6. Click "OK" to letting the sponsors of this compeition (DirectDebit) see your friends list on Facebook of Google+)"

Did not have to do anything, tried to vote again, and said I already voted, so all appears done.

GG

I think it is a tiny bit different if you use google+ instead of Facebook..? I can amend the instructions if anyone can suggest how to update. Maybe the title could be better too (it was late).

Firestormm

Voted. This is a monthly competition and I can't help but think that the two charities should have agreed a plan. Seems 'odd' to be in competition so to speak...

snowathlete

Voted. This is a monthly competition and I can't help but think that the two charities should have agreed a plan. Seems 'odd' to be in competition so to speak...

Invest in ME were in the April competition, which they won. We invited ME Research UK to enter in May and asked ME Association to wait until June. ME Research UK took the decision to wait until June's competition instead, thinking they would have a better chance for some reason. At least if they had told us, we could have got someone else entered in May's competition, but they kept it to themselves, so that was very frustrating.
Still, at least they are in this month's competiton so have a chance to win something, and I hope we can all get behind them. Hopefully in the future they will be more open to collaboration.

There were six smaller ME charities that were eligable, and two larger charities. We told them but most didn't respond. A lot of them are sick of course, so maybe they weren't up to it...TYMES trust tried to enter but were just a tiny bit too late - which is a shame.
One, WAMES, got back to one of us, telling us they chose NOT to enter this month...maybe they thought there would be another month...The original competiton says that June is the last month, so unless the sponsor decided to continue doing it (possible) then they wont win anything. Seems a waste. Fingers crossed the sponsor extends the contest into subsequent months.

Bob

Here's a little further info, in case helpful for anyone.

This is the list of all the charities, with the number of votes that they've received.
To see who's winning, click on 'Rank' to rearrange the charities in order of the number of votes:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/TheBigBreak/100GoodCauses/Pages/Vote.aspx#_=_

Here's the intro page:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/TheBigBreak/100GoodCauses/Pages/100GoodCauses.aspx

And these are the full links for the voting pages, as included in the opening post.

ME Research UK:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/TheBigBreak/100GoodCauses/Pages/CauseDetail.aspx?CauseId=1404

ME Association:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/TheBigBreak/100GoodCauses/Pages/CauseDetail.aspx?CauseId=1955

Sasha

Fine, thank you
ME Association down into third place.

Early days... they've got it on their Facebook page but I think they get a lot of hits on their website, which will probably get more traffic during the week - they have a daily news service, which probably helps bring a lot of people there.

snowathlete

Yes, absolutely. Early days. When Invest in ME won in March they weren't in first place throughout, so still a lot to play for!

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
Maybe people in our community who usually organise finding voters are currently busy finding voters for the Stormberg contest and will only look for voters for this contest later - as there is another 29 days left!

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
There were six smaller ME charities that were eligable, and two larger charities. We told them but most didn't respond. A lot of them are sick of course, so maybe they weren't up to it...TYMES trust tried to enter but were just a tiny bit too late - which is a shame.
One, WAMES, got back to one of us, telling us they chose NOT to enter this month...maybe they thought there would be another month...The original competiton says that June is the last month, so unless the sponsor decided to continue doing it (possible) then they wont win anything. Seems a waste. Fingers crossed the sponsor extends the contest into subsequent months.

In case there is a similar contest later, it would be worth for the smaller charities to enter too as there are runner-up prizes of £200 and with international support, they may well benefit from this. Especially since we can vote for more than one charity/cause.

snowathlete

In case there is a similar contest later, it would be worth for the smaller charities to enter too as there are runner-up prizes of £200 and with international support, they may well benefit from this. Especially since we can vote for more than one charity/cause.

Yes, I agree. I think these smaller charities in particular dont have people checking their messages and responding regularly. That makes it harder to get them involved, but I think the fundraising group are working on ways to help these charties enter with our help and of course to get in better contact with the right people as sometimes these contests come out of nowhere.