• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vo2 test

Tella

does anyone know if I can take one in the UK? and is it best done in some clinic where they know about ME? or can a standard clinic confirm my diagnosis? I'm just so tired of everyone saying ive never been diagnosed properly so I want to put an end to this. thanks

Tella

NHS does use this test if it suspects problems with lung/heart function. Ask your GP about it. Can be done privately. Cost about £100 ish. It's sometimes used by sports people. What part of UK are you?
I found something in my area but just wonder where exactly I can get an ME diagnosis. I don’t want the Gp to do this. And then recommend harmful exercise. I want a test where they can tell me I have ME. Would private sports clinic do that? Are they even aware it’s used for ME?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I think I would look for one that does the 2-day test.

It is the second day, I believe, that reveals the level of disability. With just the one day test they can still claim deconditioning is the issue. 2-day centers may also be more likely to be aware of ME, I would think.

Maybe the Workwell Foundation here in the States knows of centers elsewhere that do this. You could try contacting them and asking: https://workwellfoundation.org/contact-us/

andyguitar

I found something in my area but just wonder where exactly I can get an ME diagnosis. I don’t want the Gp to do this
Only a medical doctor can give you a diagnosis of ME that would be taken seriously by the NHS.
I want a test where they can tell me I have ME.
There are'nt any 100% reliable tests that can tell you that you have ME. In the UK it's more a case of doing a diagnosis by a symptom survey and ruling out other things. You are more likely to be given a diagnosis of CFS from a NHS doc.
Would private sports clinic do that? Are they even aware it’s used for ME?
If they had a medical doctor there then they might. Cost might be a bit high though as private medicine is pretty expensive. The main problem with not having a diagnosis by a medical doc is that it can make it difficult to get the full range of Social Security benefits that are available for those who have a long term health condition.
If you dont think your current GP is any good you can always change to another one.

Tella

I think I would look for one that does the 2-day test.

It is the second day, I believe, that reveals the level of disability. With just the one day test they can still claim deconditioning is the issue. 2-day centers may also be more likely to be aware of ME, I would think.

Maybe the Workwell Foundation here in the States knows of centers elsewhere that do this. You could try contacting them and asking: https://workwellfoundation.org/contact-us/
Thanks!

Tella

Only a medical doctor can give you a diagnosis of ME that would be taken seriously by the NHS.
There are'nt any 100% reliable tests that can tell you that you have ME. In the UK it's more a case of doing a diagnosis by a symptom survey and ruling out other things. You are more likely to be given a diagnosis of CFS from a NHS doc.
If they had a medical doctor there then they might. Cost might be a bit high though as private medicine is pretty expensive. The main problem with not having a diagnosis by a medical doc is that it can make it difficult to get the full range of Social Security benefits that are available for those who have a long term health condition.
If you dont think your current GP is any good you can always change to another one.
I’m just worried I’ll be pushed to do get therapy!
have u applied for any government support with cfs?

andyguitar

have u applied for any government support with cfs?
I don't have it, but have applied to get support for those who do have it. The first thing you need is medical evidence about your health problems. So to get support, ie care assistants coming to your home to help, you need to be able to convince those who provide funding ( often this will be your County Council) that you cannot look after yourself. So things like help getting to medical appointments, shopping, ect. No one can force you to do exercise.