• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin E has lessened my small fiber neuropathy symptoms

minimus

I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy by skin biopsy in 2018 around the time my ME/CFS went from mild/moderate to severe/housebound.

Among many other symptoms in the last three years, I often experience mild aching/stabbing pains in my legs, especially in the hour or two after eating. A neurologist thought this symptom might be caused by mast cell activation aggravating my SFN, though this was just a guess on her part.

My primary ME/CFS doctor recently ordered blood work that included a serum vitamin E test. Mine was below normal. Apparently, a sub-normal vitamin E level is usually the result of impaired fat absorption, as opposed to actual dietary deficiency. I have SIBO, IBS and who knows what else, though a variety of tests in the last 18 months have not revealed any other problems.

In any case, I started taking a vitamin E supplement and about a week later noticed that the neuropathic stabbing pains in my legs after eating had dissipated quite a bit. I am also able to stand longer and walk a bit further before the lactic acid/leaden feeling in my legs sets in. I also don't experience quite as much next-day PEM and aching leg muscles after walking/standing, though I'm still housebound and very symptomatic.

In any case, for those with SFN and ME/CFS, it might make sense to have your vitamin E level checked or just try a vitamin E supplement to see if it helps with symptoms.

Pyrrhus

Last edited:

junkcrap50

In any case, I started taking a vitamin E supplement and about a week later noticed that the neuropathic stabbing pains in my legs after eating had dissipated quite a bit. I am also able to stand longer and walk a bit further before the lactic acid/leaden feeling in my legs sets in. I also don't experience quite as much next-day PEM and aching leg muscles after walking/standing, though I'm still housebound and very symptomatic.
Very interesting. What dosages of Vit. E are you taking? What do you mean "sub-normal?" Do you mean low, outside reference range? Or do you mean low-normal, within reference range but close to the lower limit?

minimus

What dosages of Vit. E are you taking? What do you mean "sub-normal?" Do you mean low, outside reference range? Or do you mean low-normal, within reference range but close to the lower limit?

@junkcrap50 My beta and gamma tocopherol level was 0.3, below the reference range of 0.5-5.5 mg/L. My alpha tocopherol level was 9, inside but at the low end of the reference range of 7-25.1 mg/L.

@brenda I have been taking one gel cap a day of A.C. Grace “Unique E“, which contains 400 IU of alpha tocopherol and a mix of beta, delta, and gamma tocopherols, but the amount of each is not specified.

Because the cap is made from gelatin, I just pierce it and squeeze the contents into my mouth, as gelatin makes my MCAS symptoms worse.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I tried a mixed source high dose vitamin E which had no effect but i don't have SFN afaik.

There is not a lot of data on what a recommended RDI is and if there are complication requiring a higher amount than that is an extra wrinkle. I am glad that such a simple supplement is helping you though.

I don't know if we can get vitamin E levels this tested in my location, but its a relatively cheap thing for anyone to try.

Irat

Isn't vit E only depleted when Vit C is used up ? Hmm I would no go down the root of exogenous antioxidants orally ,others than food.

Isn't it a double edged sword in cellular redox state ?

I can t remember the research I read on Dr.jack Kruse and others ,and no strengh looking it up again ,mabey someone else can clarify it ??

brenda

@brenda I have been taking one gel cap a day of A.C. Grace “Unique E“, which contains 400 IU of alpha tocopherol and a mix of beta, delta, and gamma tocopherols, but the amount of each is not specified.

Thanks. That's the one I am on, but topically 1-2 x per week

GlassCannonLife

@minimus 400 IUs of alpha tocopherol is around 20x the reasonable daily target and will definitely overshadow your other forms of E in terms of consumption over time.

The transporter associated with vitamin E circulation, alpha-tocopherol transfer protein (α-TTP) has a hugely higher affinity for alpha-tocopherol than for any other form of tocopherol or tocotrienol. Naturally, your diet is higher in gamma-tocopherol, and so this mechanism is useful as you want to retain as much a-T as you can.

When you supplement huge amounts of a-T you saturate the transporter (because of its high affinity for a-T) and thus diminish your transport of other, also useful, E subtypes. Please see this video for more details: link

You'd probably be best off taking something like Toco-Sorb from Jarrow, or California Gold Nutrition Tocotrienol Complex (what I take because of the price - pretty much the same as the Jarrow content wise).