• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin E deficiency?

Elle just received the results of a recent Vitamin E test which indicates her Delta & Gamma levels are low:

Delta-tocopherol 43.5 nmol/l Reference range 120 - 350
Gamma-tocopherol 1.6 umol/l Reference range 2.0 - 8.5
Alpha-tocopherol 47.3 umol/l Reference range 25 - 60 (there's Alpha-tocopherol in a supplement she takes).

It doesn't seem to be possible to search forum posts for Vitamin E, as the results ignore the 'word' E! Does anyone know more about what Elle's results might mean and whether Vitamin E deficiencies are often found in the cfs mix of symptoms?

Elle has lost weight slowly & steadily for well over a year despite eating more & more (& well over 2,000 calories / day for some time). It seems Vit E deficiency can be a result of fat malabsorbtion. Have other people experienced Vit E deficiency, with or without weight loss?

gumman123

Foods high in vitamin E are nuts, and seeds. Carp, shark, and left eye flounder have a lot, after that prawns, hemp seeds, other nuts, and seeds.

We have a protein in the liver needed to transport alpha tocopherol- the most important form of vitamin E- from the liver into the blood. It will be present in lamb/beef/chicken livers so eating them will improve the bodies ability to metabolize vitamin E.

Deficiency of E will severely effect the brain, and muscles.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It doesn't seem to be possible to search forum posts for Vitamin E, as the results ignore the 'word' E

I just figured out that if you pick Google site search on the first page of the site and then put in "vitamin e" (with the quotation marks) it will pull up search results of vitamin e.

This is an old post but I just thought I'd mention it for anyone else reading this and/or having search issues.

cheeseater

Malabsorbtion of fats and fat soluable vitamins can be caused by GI issues such as IBS/Crohn's preventing absorbtion, or EPI exocrine pancreatic insufficiency preventing the breakdown of nutrients in food to be (not) absorbed. Can also prevent absorbtion of water based vitamins and minerals like selenium and B vitamins, etc.

vision blue

Problem is if you take Vit E supplements, eg even in a multivitqmin, its only alpha and it is known for squeezing out the other Es. This has also been one suggestion for why longevity in multivitamin users is lower than non users

If it was instead a fat malapsorption issue, her alpha E would be low too

One solution for the imbalance could be tontry supplements that are gamma E. I wasnt abke to find one thst agreed with me

None of this may have anything to do with the weight loss.