• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin B6 and P5P issues

SJB944

Has anyone experienced Neuropathy from P5P?

I have high levels of P5P in the blood, so stopped taking all B6 for about 4 months, peripheral neuropathy symptoms seemed to ease a little, but came and went in waves of intensity still. Just started taking 50mg of P5P a day with a b-complex, and after about 2 weeks have notices a significant increase in tingling, prickling, buzzing in hands feet, mouth, stomach etc.

I'm taking most basics, including 30mg of zinc which may also contribute to the neuropathy, Mb12 and ADb12.

Can't find any research that suggest P5P can be toxic, rather only Pyridoxine hydrochloride?

Cheers
SJB

aquariusgirl

I can't seem to get enough B6. I inject about 300mg a day and sometimes take another 100mg of P5P. Not following with testing yet. Not sure what the best tests are ...I'm told blood B6 is pretty useless. I tested once years ago & it was super high. No signs of neuropathy & my mood and brain is way better.

I suspect this may be a subset thing... maybe to do with KPU, but then again susan costen owens (autism researcher) says it relates to oxolates & all the OAT tests of PWCs she has reviewed reveal an oxolate problem & these folks need B6 -- big dosages apparently.

But lamp2kid posted about neuropathy issues with B6 on another thread. It's odd that we respond so differently. I'd like to understand y.

ukxmrv

I can't take B6 as it makes me go all jittery and I feel poisoned. However I can tolerate P5P even in high doses. Sorry can't help.

Had terrible neuropathy and my blood tests showed low folate at one point though. This was before I tried P5P. Much better from folate supplementation.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
B6 can to damage to nerves for sure. I only take a little, I had problems with it, thankfully my legs bot better when I cut way down.