• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VIP Dx/WPI Serology (Antibody) Test Results

My Antibody (Serology) Test Results for XMRV Were

• I have severe ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have mild ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have severe ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have mild ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lynn

Okay, I got my serology results. It was positive. I am still trying to make sense of it but am relieved that it wasn't negative. If this poll is going to be restarted, it is probably time to do so since I think VIPDx is finally rolling out some serology results.

Lynn

ukxmrv

Thanks Lynn, you are the first I have heard of. Did you get any of the other XMRV tests as well and were they all positive?

Welcome to this club we would all like to be NOT a member of...

XMRV+

Lynn

Thanks ukxmrv. I only sent blood in for the Serology test. No other results to report.

Lynn

Stone

I already voted in this poll but I voted incorrectly because I first received results that were incorrectly reported by VIPDx as serology results but they were culture results and the culture was negative. I don't know how this can be corrected. I received a negative culture report, but they reported it as serology, so I voted as a negative serology. It turns out that in truth, my serology results were positive but I can't vote again in the poll. What to do? It seems it would be a good idea to start this poll over and have those who responded to the poll to respond again, but correctly, as some, it appears may have been confused about the difference between serology results and culture results. Then also, I would be able to report accurately in the poll as well. Just a thought.
Stone

C

Cloud

I would really like to see this poll revived and redone....especially now that the real Serology results are coming in. These results are very significant. Can someone tell me if I am missing a Serology poll elsewhere....or how to go about re-setting this one?

Lynn

Hi Cloud,

I posted a new thread regarding this. Hopefully someone in the know will respond.

Have you gotten your results yet?

Lynn

C

Cloud

Hi Cloud,

I posted a new thread regarding this. Hopefully someone in the know will respond.

Have you gotten your results yet?

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, Yea someone will kick it off for us....I'm not sure how to set it up but think we need Cort or one of the admins?

My results are on Dr Petersons desk. I could have them mail a copy, but I'll be there soon enough.

*GG*

I would really like to see this poll revived and redone....especially now that the real Serology results are coming in. These results are very significant. Can someone tell me if I am missing a Serology poll elsewhere....or how to go about re-setting this one?

I think all you have to do is start a new thread and put in a poll as an option!

GG

PS Hope this helps.

C

Cloud

Thanks GG.....your right, piece of cake. Everyone up for re-doing this poll then?

X-Man

X(MRV) Man to the rescue
I just posted my vote, which was negative for serology. However I was positive 4 the culture test, which was done at the same time. I almost decided to just get the serology test since it is newer & cheaper, glad I didn't!

omerbasket

I was Negative by both culture and serology, with moderate to severe CFS.
I believe it can be because of the two following things combined:
1) You might not have XMRV, but one of those MLV-related viruses, perhaps those found in the NIH/FDA study.
and
2) You're body might not produce antibodies to the virus right now.

I say that because the culture/PCR test is testing for XMRV only, so the PMRVs found in the NIH/FDA study won't be found there, and, it's true that the antibody test can detect antibodies against XMRV as well as against those PMRVs, but if you're body does not produce these antibodies right now, which is very possible as I (although I'm not a scientist, but from what I read) understand it, than the serology test would come back negative even if you have XMRV/PMRVs.

Now, there are a lot of other reasons why you can have one of these viruses and still test negative on both test. First, the tests are not finding any single one which is positive for XMRV; Second, the serology test by itself is far less good than serology+culture/PCR, but as I said, the culture/PCR would not detect the PMRVs, so if you have one of them, only the serology can detect them, and as I said, serology by itself is more probable to miss it (than if it was Serology plus a culture/PCR test that would be able to detect the PMRVs); And perhaps the most improtant thing: They're now checking for XMRV/PMRVs in the blood, and only there. But the study where 5 monkeys were delibarately infected with XMRV showed us that a little time after they were infected, XMRV was not detectable in the blood. However, it was very very detectable in lots of other organs, and when they injected these monkeys with foreign peptides (Dr. Cheney says that this mimics an acute infection, a vaccine or even mold exposure) XMRV was very detectable in their blood. So, it's possible that it's in you're blood but the amount is too little to detect, and it's also possible that it's not in your blood at all, but it is in other organs in your body.

I still think that there is a good chance that you're XMRV/PMRVs positive. A nice example is the example of Sue, who was found to be negative by both culture/PCR and the WPI's old serology test - and after a long while of not knowing if she's XMRV positive, she finally tested positive by the new serology test at VIP Dx.

So there is so much more to know - and sure, if you were found positive by these tests it would probably be better than to be found positive just in the future, but that's what we currently have, so I think you should wait and keep a very open mind.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi AliceZ,

What omerbasket says makes sense. I tested positive by culture and negative by serology but I had the blood drawn a period that was so physically and mentally stressful that it might well have increased the level in the blood.

The tests are obviously missing some who are infected with XMRV or one of the MLVs. Wish we didn't have to wait for better tests, but they are doing their best to design them and it is a difficult bugger to test for.

Sushi

Yea, I figure that the negative test results just mean "maybe, maybe not". So I wait.

In the meantime, I am on antivirals for my EBV, CMV and HHV6, and hoping for the best. I didn't start taking the antivirals until after I had the blood drawn for the XMRV test, so the antivirals didn't affect the XMRV results (I don't know if they would anyway).

omerbasket-Do you know if Sue resubmitted her blood or filled out forms for extra testing, or did they automatically re-test when the new serology test was available?

Alexia

Hi Alicez,
I've read in the Dutch forum sometime ago a KDM patient who reported that she was negative in both XMRV tests. KDM decided to use a biopsy from the stomach to test for XMRV and it was positive!