• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VIP Dx MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT on Jun 1 !

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Hey Guys, i just heard from a reliable source that the CDC press release Is postponed, VIP labs test and the paper is still going through though..,.

Its like the gang that couldn't shoot straight! What a muddle! We hear their paper is about to be published for months - and it never is..... and now this. How can they be confused about what to say now? Sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen.

Does this
VIP labs test and the paper is still going through though..,.

mean the paper is going through but no press release? And VIP news is about new tests?

V99

To be blunt, I think they can't handle the reality of ME. They are struggling to come to terms with this new development, XMRV, instead of facing up to the fact, that basically they have cocked up the whole issue for years.

Rivotril

Yeah the CDC had it planned for today, dunno why they pushed it back.

if the paper really brings some news, and press release is meant to bring this news to the public to handle the commotion, its strange to release the paper before you publish a press release..
hehehe things are getting too complicated for me...but leaves, do you mean the paper will come this week, or do you don't know that for sure?

leaves

What I know is that the PRESS RELEASE is postponed. I don't know when the paper comes out, but that is not postponed as far as I. Know

V99

Perhaps somebody saw the press release, didn't like the wording, and demanded a rewrite?

K

Knackered

The press release should come out at the same time as the paper? No?

I agree with Rivotril, it seem strange they'd release the paper without the press release. I wish we were more informed, this is awful, I feel like throwing up.

dancer

Most days I have to struggle to be able to think.
Today I'm trying hard to STOP thinking until there is news.
Oh, the irony. :)

bakercape

I haven't been able

to tolerate thrill rides since i've had cfs. I think I'd rather be forced onto space mountain at disney world than to keep feeling this way. 22 years of illness. I just want an answer to why I've been sick every day for 22 years! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

V99

I'm going with the idea that this is all about a test annoncement. That wont get my my hopes up too much, as we already have tests.

omerbasket

I think that perhaps the biggest thing here would be an FDA approved test. It's difficult for me to believe that they will announce some study results or something, since they are just a lab.

usedtobeperkytina

leaves, is your source first hand?

I was beginning to think there wasn't a press release at all. Now we have that there is, but it is delayed, which is basically what we were told last week. Although then there was confusion as to whether it was a misunderstanding from Kurt or Cort. No one puts up that they have an anonymous first hand source.

So, do we have a first hand source that there is a press release to come from CDC about XMRV? Don't have to give names. Just let us know if this information is coming three steps removed or from someone who knows by being involved?

And do we have first hand source that the press release has been delayed and if so, for how long? I know all the details can't be given or aren't known now. But, with all this confusion, (there is and then there isn't) I am just trying to pin down something.

And Bob, I agree. It could be just that VIP has new test. Could be VIP has licensed with Labcorps for new test. And could be the announcement of test is coming out by design before CDC announces the new virus associated with two diseases.

CDC "We have verified XMRV is a retrovirus that occurs in higher rate in CFS patients and prostate cancer patients. We are continuing our study to see if this is because of a greater susceptibility of these patients due to immune system abnormalities in these patients or if it is the cause of the immune system abnormalities and therefore, the cause of the illness. Oh, and by the way, we see that about 4% of healthy people carry the virus."

Reporter: "So if you have prostate cancer or CFS, can you get a test to see if you have the virus?

CDC: "At this time, only one public testing lab is doing the antibody test, which we found to be the most accurate. It is located in Nevada."

Reporter: "What lab is that?"

Tina