• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video clip of Q&A at Peterson/de Meirleir presentation 26 May

jspotila

It sounds like Dr. Peterson said that Dr. Huber had a positive control and was able to detect XMRV in that samples but not the others. But also that there needs to be more information on the cohorts she looked at.

I don't speak Spanish, so there were parts of the video I did not understand. At the end, there was a question about endemic vs. epidemic CFS and risk to parents/children. Did you catch what he said about that?

parvofighter

Transcribed excerpt of Dr Peterson's Q & A

Thanks Fred for a great find. The game is afoot, indeed. Here are my two fav quotes from the above short segment.

@ 1:04
Question: Regarding the German Study that they detected XMRV in the resp tract. Could that lead to another way to diagnose or detect XMRV that is simpler than the way they (WPI) detect it now?

Peterson's reply: I think thats a very good possibility and thats clearly being explored.
@ 1: 32
Question: Could you say something about Dr Brigitte Hubers lecture on Monday (In London)

Peterson's reply: ... In which she reported that she used a probe for integrase - specific for XMRV integrase She is a retrovirologist that used a probe for integrase that is highly specific for the integrase of XMRV and reported from three different cohorts that she found no positives. But again, the question becomes, How accurate is her probe for integrase? And what populations did she look at? Thats why we want this idea of sharing specimens because she could (Peterson' emphasis) find XMRV from the positive patient that I showed you. Thats her example from that particular patient she was positive. But in none of the other patients that she tested.
If she was able to detect a positive control, two questions come to mind. Was her probe sufficiently sensitive/specific to detect lower titres; and were her sample preparation techniques the same as WPI's? I remember Huber stated her sensitivity. But was that enough? Other thoughts?

K

_Kim_

Parvo, thanks for the mini transcription. YouTube won't work for me today. Weird.

leelaplay

Kim, I got stuck once at 1:52, but refreshed and the whole thing played through. Hope it works soon.

good question paddygirl. It has a bit of that look. Does anyone know if this has "official" sanction?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks Fred for a great find. The game is afoot, indeed. Here are my two fav quotes from the above short segment.

@ 1:04
Question: Regarding the German Study that they detected XMRV in the resp tract. Could that lead to another way to diagnose or detect XMRV that is simpler than the way they (WPI) detect it now?

Peterson's reply: I think that’s a very good possibility and that’s clearly being explored.
@ 1: 32
Question: Could you say something about Dr Brigitte Huber’s lecture on Monday (In London)

Peterson's reply: ... In which she reported that she used a probe for integrase - specific for XMRV integrase… She is a retrovirologist that used a probe for integrase that is highly specific for the integrase of XMRV and reported from three different cohorts that she found no positives. But again, the question becomes, “How accurate is her probe for integrase? And what populations did she look at?” That’s why we want this idea of sharing specimens because she could (Peterson' emphasis) find XMRV from the positive patient that I showed you. That’s her example from that particular patient – she was positive. But in none of the other patients that she tested.
If she was able to detect a positive control, two questions come to mind. Was her probe sufficiently sensitive/specific to detect lower titres; and were her sample preparation techniques the same as WPI's? I remember Huber stated her sensitivity. But was that enough? Other thoughts?

Good point Parvo, I was ready to assume that - if XMRV is only present in WPI samples then it is a problem with contamination - but there are more options. I would discard the first one - I would think that some of those patients would have had enough XMRV to show up using her probe - she had 200 or so from CFS physicians or the HHV6 Foundation - it can't be the cohort! but maybe there is something in the sample preparation - we did hear someone from the DHHS say there was some question about that - so maybe thats what happened. The contamination question is cropping up a bit though.

Its interesting that this is yet another different look at XMRV - looking for an enzyme specific to XMRV.

paddygirl

Kim, I got stuck once at 1:52, but refreshed and the whole thing played through. Hope it works soon.

good question paddygirl. It has a bit of that look. Does anyone know if this has "official" sanction?

I had a chat at the conference in London with Dr Peterson, myself and an English lady ( mother of an 18 yr old with M.E.) decided to be proactive and ask a few questions. A TV crew were trying to film him and he politely said 'I don't do that'.
He then mentioned that a patient had written verbatim about his consultation on the internet. He didn't say that he was offended but that was the impression I got. I guess if a patient expects doctor/patient confidentiality then perhaps a doctor won't be too happy about a blow by blow account on the web. I can see his point. I did say that we are all desperate for information and that is why we hang on every word. He seemed like a very decent man who is finding the circus a bit tiring.

If this film is secret, which I assume it is as no recording devices were allowed in London, then I think it's a step too far.
On another thread tonight, I think it's the Cold Spring Harbour one, a poster said it well. Very tired as late here but think it was something about respecting the people that work so hard for us. I couldn't agree more, I was wiped after my days in London, I can't imagine how all those people do the traveling and time changes, and all for us.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I was ready to assume that - if XMRV is only present in WPI samples then it is a problem with contamination -

Cort,

The contamination issue has been thoroughly put to bed. Just by sequencing the whole genome (2.5 times) they proved their point. Then they found antibodies, etc. etc.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Good point Parvo, I was ready to assume that - if XMRV is only present in WPI samples then it is a problem with contamination - but there are more options...The contamination question is cropping up a bit though.

How could it be a problem with contamination? I have never understood that argument. Even if the WPI was the only group that could find it out of the next twenty, contamination still would be too improbable...

They found different strains of XMRV (i.e. that differ by a few nucleotides from one another). A single contaminant would not come in strains! And, when they isolated and sequenced entire genomes of whatever-it-is-they-found (if we assume for the moment it was not XMRV) they did a phylogenetic analysis comparing it to known XMRV strains (prostate) and MLV. The result was a clustering on the XMRV branch of the phylogenetic tree, not on MLV's. AND, the Cleveland Clinic isolated and sequenced XMRV env and gag sequences from WPI patient samples.

Then there is the issue of the controls testing largely negative (except for about 4%) overall, and then there was the separate experiment where they did antibody tests for viral protein expression and again the controls tested negative. Then there was the experiment where they managed to infect prostate cells by mixing them with CFS patient plasma, finding XMRV gag and env sequences afterwards in those prostate cells, but again NOT in the controls in that experiment.

So the alleged contamination somehow always avoided the control group and always looked exactly like XMRV, and even came in a few different genotypes. Inferring contamination in this case comes close to invoking the supernatural, as I see it!

awol

It is quite probable that sample collection methods and storage will prove to have played a role in Huber's negative results, along with insufficient methodology.

The positive control from the WPI wold probably have been collected and stored a different way.

fred

The game is afoot
There is no full transcript yet but, apparently, De Meirleir said that they have an XMRV test that works and that it should be available in 3-4 weeks.

Rivotril

There is no full transcript yet but, apparently, De Meirleir said that they have an XMRV test that works and that it should be available in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks Fred for this news!
Do you know that he meant the antibody test? So that the Vipdx antibody test will be ready in a month or so?

leelaplay

Ah - I love a man with the inside track. :Retro wink:

Fred, do you know if these videos are bootleg or sanctioned?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've just put a new Norton security program on so with the video can now only get 3 words before it starts buffering grrrrrrrr, I've given up.

fred

The game is afoot
He said it was a personal decision to have more time to himself and to go sailing again. I think the guy is just tired after 25 years. He certainly looked drained on Monday.