• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vicodin and Percocet Off the Market?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Panel to the FDA released a stunning conclusion today - take Percocet and Vicodin and other acetaminophen containing narcotics off the market! That's an amazing recommendation given how widely these drugs are used.

The problem is that too much acetaminophen damages the liver'; in fact overuse is responsible for more cases of liver damage than any other factor.

The panel also recommended severely reducing the maximum daily level of acetaminophen to 2600 mgs. from 4000 milligrams and reducing the maximum amount of acetaminophen one can ingest at a time from 500 mg to 325 mg.

Check out the story here http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/49585407.html?cmpid=15585797

Jody

I hope they do it.

What too much of that stuff can do to a person is scary.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
At first this freaked me out because the FDA has also been talking about taking long-acting narcotics off the market or making it more difficult to obtain them (see American Pain Foundation [in a PDF] statement here). But once I realized they were simply separating the acetaminophen from the opiate, I was quite pleased. No more having to choose between NyQuil and pain relief. :)