• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very Severely ill UK ME patient too ill to be moved is being sectioned tomorrow morning

Countrygirl

I want to alert our community to a horrific situation that is taking place in the UK tomorrow morning.

It is another example of the dangerous influence and the stranglehold that the small group of psychiatrists have on ME in the UK. It is so crucial The Lancet retract the PACE trial and NICE rewrite the guidelines or this abuse will continue.

A very severely ill long-term ME patient is being sectioned tomorrow morning. She is too sick to move, to eat, and is judged to be terminal. A doctor has deemed her to be too sick and frail to be moved. However, her GP has sent in a psychiatrist who has told her that her severe suffering is her own fault and that her carer who is exhausted is her 'enabler'. The psychiatrist is ignoring the advice of the hospital consultant who says she is far too sick to be moved and is coming to the house in the morning to take her out by force. The patient is terrified and has no doubt she will not survive this.

It is another case of disgraceful medical abuse and this is likely not to end well.

All that can be done is done now, but the psychiatrist cannot be stopped at this stage.

Please think of L. tomorrow.

She says she feels tortured and we know what that feels like.

TW: very severe ME/CFS, psychiatric abuse, MHA

1f198.svg

Does anyone out there have knowledge/ experience of challenging sectioning under Mental Health Act of a person with very severe ME? My friend is dying (Drs words) of very severe ME. A psychiatrist decided it’s all in her head.

2. She’s being sectioned on Monday. She has probable MCAS inc food allergies, is incontinent, unable to move/speak. Moving her causes extreme pain +spasms. She will be taken from husband, the only person who understands care needs. Because they’ve decided >>

He’s the “enabler”. They have no one else to fight for them. He’s broken down from strain. She fears dying alone in torture of neglect for her allergy/continence issues

4. I’m very sorry to have triggered trauma with these tweets. What I really need is someone knowledgeable to guide me on what I can and can’t do to try and advocate on her behalf

It’s complicated by fact I haven’t seen her in 10 years, don’t have husbands phone no. She can’t communicate any more. She’s used her last strength to reach out and tell me about sectioning at 9.30 on Monday but now not responding.

Countrygirl

Is there any news @Countrygirl ?
I hope someone has been able to help her, but the worst thing, even if that is possible, is it might take some days. Her husband must be distressed too.

There is some good news. The sectioning team did not take her today, following a polite discussion but are still pursuing a mental health diagnosis.

I am told that her condition is 'very grave'.

lenora

Hi Country Girl.....I'm glad your friend was given a reprieve of sorts, although not only is she a mess, but her poor husband has carried a heavy load and must be exhausted himself.

I realize the problem with psychiatrists in your country....the extreme power they have, but it's still very hard to believe that such abuse goes on. It probably does here, too, although I haven't heard of one like this case, and I know from reading that there have been others.

Best of luck to your friend. That's a terrible shame. At least her husband should get some relief helpers. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator: