• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very painful and swollen lymph nodes - how to distinguish lymphoma from CFS?

i had a real bad mycoplasma infection which also infected my lymph nodes and caused them to swell and hurt, along with that anytime I had too much sugar and/or alcohol and caused my lymph nodes to be painfully swollen near by jaw. A year of low dose and pulsed ABX and im good now

i had a real bad mycoplasma infection which also infected my lymph nodes and caused them to swell and hurt, along with that anytime I had too much sugar and/or alcohol and caused my lymph nodes to be painfully swollen near by jaw. A year of low dose and pulsed ABX and im good now

Thank you! What is ABX?
I put coconut sugar in my water because it’s hard for me to eat/drink anything else and I want to keep my weight (for safety).
What kind of mycoplasma infection? Of the lung? (I’ve never heard about that.)
Did you get those other symptoms as well? Like a persistent itch, lymph nodes pressing on the nerves which make the limbs go numb easily, migraines/sensory intolerance etc?
My lymph nodes in the jaw and rib area are apparently so swollen It gives me 5-10 different tinnitus-noises, ear pain, hearing issues, a sore throat which makes it hard to swallow, reactive airway/vocal cord disfunction, slight hoarseness, breathing issues etc.
The ones on the sides of the breasts are like small golf balls and the ones in the groin, shin and arms are painfully hard as well. And around the abdominal area there is a whole lot more of that pain. Especially under the ribcage where the spleen is, around the stomach (feels like escaped gastritis), the kidneys...
Is that common?

Last edited:
Thank you! What is ABX?
I put coconut sugar in my water because it’s hard for me to eat/drink anything else and I want to keep my weight (for safety).
What kind of mycoplasma infection? Of the lung? (I’ve never heard about that.)
Did you get those other symptoms as well? Like a persistent itch, lymph nodes pressing on the nerves which make the limbs go numb easily, migraines/sensory intolerance etc?
My lymph nodes in the jaw and rib area are apparently so swollen It gives me 5-10 different tinnitus-noises, ear pain, hearing issues, a sore throat which makes it hard to swallow, reactive airway/vocal cord disfunction, slight hoarseness, breathing issues etc.
The ones on the sides of the breasts are like small golf balls and the ones in the groin, shin and arms are painfully hard as well. And around the abdominal area there is a whole lot more of that pain. Especially under the ribcage where the spleen is, around the stomach (feels like escaped gastritis), the kidneys...
Is that common?
ABX is antibiotics, took me a year on them to finally be cured and I have zero issues w my lymph nodes since

As far as lymph symptoms, yes exactly the same as you. Read these:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5094598/

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/diseases-and-conditions/pathology/mycoplasma-infections

my lymphs were also swollen systematically in legs, under arms, jaw, near ear, etc

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
You would have to have biopsies I think and possibly a bone marrow test.

When I had enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and leg they did a biopsy to rule out cancer. I think that a bone marrow biopsy would only be done if they had lab tests and symptoms suggesting lymphoma.

A CBC can determine if the platelet count and/or white blood cell count are low, which may indicate that lymphoma is present in the bone marrow and/or blood. Bone marrow biopsy and examination – used to evaluate the cells present in the bone marrow.Dec 10, 2020

So lymphoma would show up on the CBC.

I think I read somewhere that cancer lesions tend to be painless. I had slightly enlarged, tender lymph nodes in my neck.

Rufous McKinney

I have swollen lymph nodes and one is particularly painful on my rib cage (variable, tracks PEM), one flares in the groin, one large one in my neck right neck.

I worry about all this, try not to, but its a weak link. I don't want any biopsies. Thats me.

First- I'm going to start a lymph cleanse using chinese traditional herbs. So I have that intention. I started these same herbs last winter, got sick with some gastroenteritis and stopped all herbs for- close to the last 10 months.

So before I would ever hand myself over for biopsies, I'd go thru this effort to treat the lymph with herbs.

These lymph node issues go down when I can walk more. I noticed that last summer...but this walking...was causing me PEM and all my symptoms got worse as my lymph got better.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I think ME viruses infect the periosteum (outer covering of bones-see my Self Experimentation blog for toe periostitis) so this would be perceived as painful tenderness then pressed. For example, head pain when wearing a hat or foot pain in shoes. You also could notice your hat size getting bigger.

Epstein barr virus causes tender, enlarged lymph nodes as well.