• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vertigo Turning Over In Bed

I have been having a relapse, and as well as feeling like I have the flu ( which I haven't) and headaches, and all the usual cfs symptoms, my old friend the vertigo has returned.

It is especially bad in the night when I turn over and the entire rooms spins for a few seconds. I am also really stuffy with sinus and ear fullness again which I always get in relapses. IBS nightmares,palpitations and so on have come back to haunt me.

Does anyone else have vertigo in relapses which seems to be worse in the night?

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Hi Machair.

The condition you describe appears to be describing: Paroxysmal positional vertigo .

I get this, and what you describe (either with worsening viral symptoms or (In the past) from walking. E.g. it comes on hours after walking (vertigo), and then I cannot lay flat in bed at all, or lay on my side as I get immediate room spin/nausea and in some cases, vomiting. Also a hot bath can trigger this or lack of sleep.

So to answer your question, yes I do get vertigo that suddenly comes on at night, (evening) or I wake up with it in the morning and literally cannot walk to the bathroom without holding onto something. It's very frustrating, scary and can last days I find (acutely).

The only thing I've found in an acute 'attack' is to keep your head LEVEL (e.g. look at a wall), and your body as still as possible. Usually after 12 hrs, the symptoms back off slightly. I've got a matress raiser, and I then attempt to sleep by sitting bolt upright and placing pillows either side (4 or 5) to stop my head tilting to one side in my sleep - triggering the vertigo off again.

There is a test you can have for this, when you lay down and a doctor tilts your head to one side and it causes room spin! :( :( Or they put water in your ears (it's got a funny name, can't remember it).

I'd not bother personally to go through tests if you know what triggers it, and it's not getting worse.

Sorry you have to suffer this.

Min

Labyrnthitis has always been part of my M.E. & I now keep Serc tablets (betahistine) for when it starts so it doesn't become too awful.

Kati

Patient in training
To me the key of what you said was "stuffy with sinus and ear fullness". As you may know vertigo origins from the middle ear-
Now if only I had a treatment for you!!!

I do experience some vertigo as well- occasionally- not fun

Welcome to the forums Machair!

Thank you for your replies. I was wondering if vertigo started when cfs did or if some people already had this-in other words do you think it is a symptom of the disease itself? It certainly seems to have plaqued me since I was diagnosed in 1996. Do people find it flares up when other symptoms do and if so what symptoms go hand in hand with it?

Mithriel

In some of the early epidemics the disease was referred to as Epidemic Vertigo.

So definitely part of the syndrome :Retro smile: I have emergency stemitil pills which help to a certain extent.

Mithriel

Anika

head spinning vs room spinning

Mij, I noticed you mentioned a head spinning feeling.

Most people talk about vertigo as the room spinning. I remember when I was trying to describe my dizzy feeling, and the doctor asked if it felt like the room was spinning, and I said it was more like my head was spinning inside.

Luckily for me, it is not a constant symptom, but tends to come with viral symptoms. For me it's worst when I'm laying down, and if my head moves slightly to the side it's bad. Like Dysautomia, I then try to keep my head propped still.

Anika

Min

This was one of my first symptoms. it makes it impossible for me to turn move my head on the pillow without vomiting. Do see your doctor so you can keep tablets in hand when it strikes, before it worsens.

Mij

Mij, I noticed you mentioned a head spinning feeling.

Most people talk about vertigo as the room spinning. I remember when I was trying to describe my dizzy feeling, and the doctor asked if it felt like the room was spinning, and I said it was more like my head was spinning inside.

Anika, yes when the doctor asked me if it was my head or the room spinning I had to think about it for a moment- it was definitely my head spinning.

I had a few tests done at the hospital, like someone mentioned I had cool water poured into my ear and then he turned out the lights and told me to count backwards from 100. My head spun again and I screamed for him to turn the lights back on. I hated this test. Then I had a brain stem auditory test done. Everything was normal. They also did a thyroid scan because of the highly elevatted anti thyroid antibodies, my thyroid function was normal. The endocrinlogist told me it was viral.

I personally don't experience nausea with the head spinning oddly enough.

Mij

Navid

whirling brain

I have this too...if i turn my head to the side while lying down...the whole inside of my head starts whirling. it reminds me of being super drunk or stoned....memories from my younger yrs : )

:innocent1:
now it happens when my symptoms are at their worse. it scares me then i realize it will stop and i calm down.

i have to remind myself to either move my head V E R Y slowly or turn my whole body with my head....so my head isn't turning on it's on.

what causes this?...in laymen's terms please?

it's good to know there is real medical term for this...thanks dys

maryb

iherb code TAK122
This was one of my first symptoms. it makes it impossible for me to turn move my head on the pillow without vomiting. Do see your doctor so you can keep tablets in hand when it strikes, before it worsens.

Me too - I was admitted to hospital the doc thought it was a brain bleed initially, after scan got downgraded to a 'migraine' like I wouldn't know the difference. I have never had a clear head from that day to this. In bed I also get dark movements behind my eyes when they are shut like screens coming down, its horrible, settles after so long keeping still. It really is one of my worst symptoms, but fortunately fluctuates between bad and very bad, too many up and down head movements in a morning and its back to bed for the day. As far as I'm concerned it is totally viral in cause.

I had the same really severe symptom last summer (vomitting at any movement) twice in 4 weeks, took myself off to a private doc for a viral screen (like I'd get one from my GP) came back I had an active EBV infection. Valtrex did help but I'm worried about long term use - I think now if I had been tested for viruses when it first hit me and treated would that have been enough for it not to have got such a hold. Not that I'll ever know now.

Anika

[/QUOTE]
I had a few tests done at the hospital, like someone mentioned I had cool water poured into my ear and then he turned out the lights and told me to count backwards from 100. My head spun again and I screamed for him to turn the lights back on. I hated this test. Then I had a brain stem auditory test done. Everything was normal. They also did a thyroid scan because of the highly elevatted anti thyroid antibodies, my thyroid function was normal. The endocrinlogist told me it was viral.

I personally don't experience nausea with the head spinning oddly enough.

Mij[/QUOTE]

Mij, while it's good they checked it out, I'm sure glad I didn't have those tests!

Nausea doesn't accompany the spinning sensation for me, either. I really didn't have much of an issue with nausea for a few years, and it's still a lesser symptom.

Anika

A

anne

After 4 years of good health, I've downgraded again. I'd put fatigue very low on my symptoms list--what's really bothering me is various kinds of dizziness. I've only had the room really spin once, but otherwise it's this seasick feeling. Or sensation that I am in motion. Or my head spinning. A few days ago I felt sick every time I moved my eyes. Looking at rapid motion is really troubling to me. Now, the roof of my mouth is prickling and my head is buzzing and I have to keep it propped up with pillows, and I've got prickling running up and down everywhere.

Now I'm just complaining, but I'm curious, is the sensation of movement also vertigo? If not, what do you call it?

I find these things impossible to describe to doctors without sounding like a crazy person.

Kristen

Los Angeles
Hi guys...i have it bad....sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and the room is spinning. My episodes usually last anywhere from a day to five days. I started seeing a new doctor and she said these symptoms are caused by Vasoconstriction. Google it and see if it makes sense. So far it's the best explanation i've had for these episodes.

K

Mij

Hi guys...i have it bad....sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and the room is spinning. My episodes usually last anywhere from a day to five days. I started seeing a new doctor and she said these symptoms are caused by Vasoconstriction. Google it and see if it makes sense. So far it's the best explanation i've had for these episodes.

K

K, if the room is spinning as in your situation it could be vasoconstriction. My understanding is that there is a difference between the sensation of the room spinning or your head spinning. For me it was called [Paroxysmal positional vertigo/B]. My spinning starts when I go from a lying down to a sitting position and then it stops. My eyes feel like they did a 360 degree spin.

Mij