• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex

Live And Let Die

I've been taking 1 gram of Valtrex now for about 4 months. I'd say overall my energy level increase has been very slight if any but I have noticed my tolerance for light and sound is a bit better.

During my last visit my GP told me that he's going to continue to write the script for 1 gram a day for 30 days but told me I could expirement with it. The suggestions were based on the fact that my EBV virus goes in a cyclical type pattern, sometimes active, sometimes not.

The suggestions were

Continue with 1 gram a day in a 30 day period
Stay with 1 gram a day and take a second gram if I am feeling particularly bad
Take 1 gram 3x a day for 10 days, off for 20 days.

I never had any herx or side effects at 1 gram a day. I took a second one today and it hit me hard. For an hour I was feeling very terrible.

My question is this: Since I can only afford 1 gram a day is it better to keep a consistant dose at 1 gram/day or is the 3x for 10 days/20 days off a better idea?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
do u take the 1 gram a day as a single dose, why i ask is that antivirals have a short life in the system, u might be better off splitting the dose and taking 500mg twice a day, if u have the time and want to increase the dose maybe try 500mg 4 times a day, just a thought. As for taking days off, i dont think it would work as well as staying on at a lower dose. U could talk to your doc about a drug called probenecide which can increase the life and blood levels of avs and save u money, that way u could possibly get the effect of 2000mg of valtrex by using 1000mg.

cheers!!!

undcvr

wow i had to go up to like 4-5gm a day to really feel any different. It wasnt long after that I switched to Valcyte. I have ebv too.

ukxmrv

For some strange reason I found that 1gm taken once a day had a far better effect than 2 x 500mg's. For financial reasons I cannot increase the dose or try Valcyte.

I've not tried pulsing it on purpose but have run out of the drug :D, had a break, deteriorated and then improved when started again. I'm taking Imunovir with the Valtrex and that is having a good effect as well. Do pulse the Imunovir though.

I'm CMV, HHV6a, EBV and XMRV+.