• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex Qs again

Tella

Would you stop taking it if after a few months on it you checked your infection status and ebv isn’t active anymore? I’ve read Dr Lerner says it needs at least a year to completely eradicate from your body....just don’t wanna keep taking unnecessary potentially toxic chemicals if it’s not helping me and/or it helped but it mend i can’t stop now? A bit confused.
Ps. I never checked titres etc. just know that I had an active ebv (past and present) when I got ill and am thinking of checking antibody status soon but not sure if I have to. Any advice appreciated :)

Hipsman

I've heard from many people on this and other forums that the longer you are sick, the longer you have to take the antivirals to achieve full benefits (whether its valcyt valtrex, famvir or others...)
just don’t wanna keep taking unnecessary potentially toxic chemicals if it’s not helping me
most people that I saw responded benefits within 1 to 3 mounts of taking antivirals, for long-lasting ME (say 5-10 years) it may be longer. You may also want to read this thread.

Haley

I know whenever I stop Valtrex my symptoms get worse, so I start again. I don't like taking meds, and I do have some concerns about long term impacts, but for me in increase in function outweighs the downside. It's something you have to weigh up...