• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vagus Nerve Stimulation

Treeman

I have a tens machine with ear clips I use every day. I don't think it does much if anything but for 20 mins it makes me sit still, be calm and relax, they all help.

Hipsman

Yes, but I used TENS unit, it's actually interesting to experiment that way by changing frequency and pulse width to achieve different effects, for me it helped with sleep and overall "alertness" while using it, see thread

Davsey27

Did some humming yesterday and gargling and didn't feel too much

humming throughout the day just got tired of hearing my own voice and wanted to lay down

I have also experimented with singing and it just makes me crash

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
I did the gargling, singing, and humming as well (and several other exercises I do not seem to recall), but despite my enthusiasm nothing seemed to be all that difference-making for me.

In my case, I do believe the vagus nerve may have been at least partially to blame for several former and current irregularities (ex. inability to ingest fluids orally), but I have no way of knowing.

My muscles are in a near constant state of tension, which I believe is either the cause or the result from an as of yet.. malfunctioning something or other. My immune system is always fighting off something (chronic low white blood cell count), some kind of threat, real or imagined.

Anyway, my better nutritional standing and daily meditation have seemed to help rid my body of the formerly random autonomic behaviors. I'd suggest giving the latter a try, as meditation has been known to relax the vagus nerve (if I am remembering correctly).

H

Davsey27

Appreciate it Howard,

Yes i too believe it is a pathogen that is affecting the body.

I see on your signature low carb gluten free seemed to help you

I sometimes worry about high fats clogging up the arteries though

Curious if you found anything to help with that chronic low grade viral fluuey feeling?

Thanks

Howard

No problem. I utilize healthy fats almost exclusively (tube feeding formula), but also orally via eggs (two a day). My diet now consists of only five foods, which has helped gotten rid of that constant "icky" feeling (limits random reactions). Quality sleep has also been vitality important in that regard. I no longer wake up feeling poisoned. And yes, carbs make me weak, sweaty and "icky" all over. I've been gluten-free since 2001.

Hipsman

humming throughout the day just got tired
that's what happened when I tried that. I heard from some study that natural form of VNS cannot normalize functioning of vagus nerve, but the TVNS (with TENS unit) can. That's why TVNS is used in epilepsy and other diseases.

Davsey27

No problem. I utilize healthy fats almost exclusively (tube feeding formula), but also orally via eggs (two a day). My diet now consists of only five foods, which has helped gotten rid of that constant "icky" feeling (limits random reactions). Quality sleep has also been vitality important in that regard. I no longer wake up feeling poisoned. And yes, carbs make me weak, sweaty and "icky" all over. I've been gluten-free since 2001.

Curious Howard what are the 5 basic founds that you found help?

Howard

Curious Howard what are the 5 basic founds that you found help?

Daily: Two eggs, a banana (or preferably, plantains), spinach, quinoa.. plus, half an avocado here and there. I sometimes have issues digesting avocados, but they're so darned healthy!

*Sometimes (rarely) when avocados or bananas are cross-contaminated by pollens (I'm assuming) my mouth and tongue get rather itchy.

This was my diet before I started on the tube feeding formula (last year) and ever since. I'm not necessarily suggesting that anybody else follow suit, but eliminating each of the offending foods has helped. Eliminating potatoes was especially helpful.. as someone once suggested on here.

I still, however, have huge issues with PEM. Nothing I've done over the years (outside of sleeping soundly and being predominantly mindful) has helped on that end. But the "poisoned" sensation now only occurs if I cheat with a tiny bit of simple sugars, or direct pressure is applied to my muscles (washing).

Yes, this illness is baffling! And please keep in mind, my dietary changes may be of little use to others.