• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccine: When is our turn? (please no discussion of efficacy or side effects)

When do we get the vaccine?

This is the priority list:

..."health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities are first in line, followed by adults ages 75 and older and frontline essential workers such as first responders. The next phase will be adults between 65 and 75, those between 16 and 64 with high-risk medical conditions and "other essential workers," according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices." - CNN

Do we fit into the "high-risk medical conditions" group?
Has anyone looked into getting the vaccine as part of the high-risk group?

Please no discussion of the efficacy or risks of the vaccine - this thread is only for discussion of where people with ME/CFS fit into the priority list.

Thanks!

Rufous McKinney

Has anyone looked into getting the vaccine as part of the high-risk group?

This web site includes some evaluation of information on the Moderna (and on another page, the Pfizer)...mRNA vaccine. It discusses immune compromised individuals.

https://creakyjoints.org/living-wit...t-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-immunocompromised/

Some other medical groups are mentioned as taking a stand on effects...referenced in the article.

The focus seems to be that: we weren't included in the trials; there is potential for a lower immune response in immune compromised- the vaccine may not work as well, but the view seemed to be something is better than nothing.

This does not seem to include information or opinion on the concern that vaccination may make us sicker or cause some to develop long term health issues like ME.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My state (New Mexico) has a site to pre-register for the vaccine, but they don't ask anything about your medical conditions--which is kind of odd. They also say that the group 1a will include people with disabilities but they don't specify what disabilities. I asked my doctor whether I was in a high risk group and she said they haven't defined that yet. I think all this will become clearer in the coming weeks.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I've been curious about whether we count as being 'high risk' myself. Any doctor I've asked has said: "I don't know!"

There is a list of conditions that constitute high risk from the CDC. Obviously ME/CFS isn't on there, but being immunocompromised is. Do we count in that category??

the group 1a will include people with disabilities but they don't specify what disabilities
My guess is that it's people with disabilities who live in congregate care settings like residential schools or group homes.

lenora

My state (New Mexico) has a site to pre-register for the vaccine, but they don't ask anything about your medical conditions--which is kind of odd. They also say that the group 1a will include people with disabilities but they don't specify what disabilities. I asked my doctor whether I was in a high risk group and she said they haven't defined that yet. I think all this will become clearer in the coming weeks.

Sushi, I believe you're right. Day by day they're releasing more and more information. Sadly, one of the things we have to take into account is that "normal" is the name of the game. We fall outside that area, as do many others. The weeks ahead will tell us the rest of the story. Wishing you well. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

geraldt52

Any doctor I've asked has said: "I don't know!"
If doctors, researchers, and talking heads were all truly being honest, then that would be the answer to nearly every question that is being asked regarding Covid 19, including vaccination. There's an awful lot of speculation being passed on as "facts".

I'll go ahead and speculate that people with suspected immune disfunctions will be able to legitimately argue one way or the other for their getting or not getting the vaccine, at any time, because of "disability". Question is, are you feeling lucky?

hapl808

Ha, I haven't felt lucky in a very long time. Assuming it looks safe, I guess I'll get the vaccine whenever a good version is offered. If I had the energy to advocate for getting it earlier, maybe I wouldn't be bedbound in the first place.

lenora

Hello nyanko_the_sane......I read the article, but I've also read others where the local population refuses to be vaccinated for many of the real problems facing them: Ebola for one and polio another. There are others, but I can't remember them offhand.

Once a local population gets it into its collective head that something is actually poisonous, the chances of them ever getting it are nil. What are the answers? Thanks....Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator: