• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using Data Analysis to Study ME/CFS and Long Covid

Dear All,

cc @Pyrrhus @Learner1 @Martin aka paused||M.E. @SlamDancin

As a patient and now a researcher, I am grateful to be a recipient of the 2021 Stupski Awards from SolveCFS. I will be giving an interview to Leslie Phillips on Friday , January 21st at 10:00am PT regarding the analysis i will be performing to ME/CFS and LongCOVID patient data using Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing methods to identify factors that differentiate symptom severity and also using cutting-edge temporal agortihms that identify patterns of symptoms across time.

To be discussed :

-How i used Machine Learning in 2011 to analyze the severity of my symptoms in data that i logged for a total of 434 days and how these patterns helped me unserstand more my symptoms.

-How temporal analysis identified the "vicious circle" of my symptoms and why a specific symptom deserved particular attention.

-How Natural Language Processing can help us build a high-quality patient dataset for further analysis

-Why it is important for ME/CFS and LongCOVID patients to share their story with as many details as possible using text notes.

-What kind of knowledge we expect to have after analyzing patient data

You may register for the event here :

https://solvecfs.org/event/using-data-analysis-to-study-me-cfs-and-long-covid-session-1/

Disclaimer : I am a patent owner of a methodology that uses Artificial Intelligence and Text Analysis methods to research any medical syndrome, disease or group of symptoms

https://patents.justia.com/patent/10748663

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Dear All,

As a patient and now a researcher, I am grateful to be a recipient of the 2021 Stupski Awards from SolveCFS. I will be giving an interview to Leslie Phillips on Friday , January 21st at 10:00am PT regarding the analysis i will be performing to ME/CFS and LongCOVID patient data using Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing methods to identify factors that differentiate symptom severity and also using cutting-edge temporal agortihms that identify patterns of symptoms across time.

To be discussed :

-How i used Machine Learning in 2011 to analyze the severity of my symptoms in data that i logged for a total of 434 days and how these patterns helped me unserstand more my symptoms.

-How temporal analysis identified the "vicious circle" of my symptoms and why a specific symptom deserved particular attention.

-How Natural Language Processing can help us build a high-quality patient dataset for further analysis

-Why it is important for ME/CFS and LongCOVID patients to share their story with as many details as possible using text notes.

https://solvecfs.org/event/using-data-analysis-to-study-me-cfs-and-long-covid-session-1/

Disclaimer : I am a patent owner of a methodology that uses Artificial Intelligence and Text Analysis methods to research any medical syndrome, disease or group of symptoms

That’s very interesting. Maybe you are interested in a zoom call with me?

Last edited by a moderator:

anne_likes_red

Dear All,

To be discussed :

Congrats!!
I've been a big fan of what you're doing a long time now.
Missed the webinar unfortunately. Let us know if it was recorded. :) Anne.

@Consul Thank you for your supportive comment.

As discussed, I am currently in the process of enriching the dataset. The work that a Machine Learning algorithm has to do becomes much easier when the input data are enriched in particular ways, it enables us to analyze data from different "perspectives". Also, i am expecting more data to come in.

I am very much a fan of a personalized approach using genomic data and the AI system i am using suggests a mixture of immuno+metabolic+mitochondrial issues. I have a number of hypotheses that i am hoping that some researchers may look at.

The truth is that i do not know why whatever i did worked for me. I believe that i simply made -say- 70% of the right steps which helped me overcome my problems in the long run. I was very lucky that whatever intervention i was doing had an immediate positive / negative effect (if it had one). Logging of my symptoms also led me to get to know my "body signals" extremely well.

Some -hopefully- interesting info :

- It took me many months to finally accept that i was able to live a normal life.

- The photo i use in my profile is from a hike to Drakolimni (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakolimni) i did which required several hours of walking up a mountain. The fact that i did not crash after so many hours of walking (approx. 5 hours) had me finally convinced that i could live a normal life.

-I still consider myself a patient since if i do the wrong things (for me) , i will crash.

-I would love to be able to perform "Personal Data Mining" in every patient who submitted data, meaning to extract symptom patterns on a patient level.

Last edited: