• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine-Based XMRV testing?

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Go Daffodil!

Great find

From the site

Urine-Based XMRV RT-PCR Detection Kit (Cat# 34700 )

A ready-to-use system for the isolation and detection of XMRV viral RNA from urine using end-point RT-PCR (

* Rapid isolation of high quality viral RNA from urine
* Contains a ready-to-use 2X RT-PCR Master Mix
* High sensitivity and specificity
* Includes an isolation control and a PCR control
* Primer set and controls also available separately
* Ideal for use in:
1. Surveillance of Drug Resistant Pathogens
2. Epidemiologial Studies
3. Field Surveillance of Pathogens
4. Surveys

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) belongs to the family Retroviridae and the genus gammaretrovirus. The virus was first described in 2006 and has since been isolated from human biological samples. XMRV has a single-stranded RNA genome that replicates through a DNA intermediate. The virus gets its name due to its close relationship with the murine leukemia viruses (MuLVs). The viral genome is approximately 8100 nucleotides in length and is 95% identical with several endogenous retroviruses of mice. While gammaretroviruses have well-characterized oncogenic effects in animals, they have not been shown to cause human cancers. However, XMRV was recently discovered in human prostate cancers and is the first gammaretrovirus known to infect humans. In addition to prostate cancer, a possible association with chronic fatigue syndrome has been reported, however it has yet to be established whether XMRV is a cause of this disease. The causal role of XMRV in cancer has yet to be established and the virus does not appear to be capable of transforming cells directly.

Norgen’s Urine-Based XMRV RT-PCR Detection Kit is a ready-to-use system for the isolation and detection of XMRV from urine. First the kit contains components for the rapid isolation of total RNA, including viral RNA, from the urine samples using spin-column chromatography based on Norgen’s proprietary resin (Nucleic Acid Isolation). Second the kit contains XMRV RT-PCR Master Mix and controls for PCR Amplification. The amplified PCR products are then detected using agarose gel electrohporesis. Alternatively, detection can be performed by real-time PCR using melt curves (Detection). Please see the flowchart to the right.

The XMRV Master Mix contains reagents and enzymes for the specific amplification of a 300 bp region of XMRV. In addition, Norgen’s Urine-Based XMRV RT-PCR Detection Kit contains a second heterologous amplification system to identify possible PCR inhibition and/or inadequate isolation. The kit is designed to allow for the testing of 24 samples. the XMRV RT-PCR Primer Set and Controls are also available separately for end-point RT-PCR detection.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

* Non Invasive, Non Infectious Sample Source – Urine is not infectious for most human pathogens.
* Isolate High Quality, Inhibitor-Free RNA - Removal of highly concentrated salts, metabolic wastes and proteins provides high quality, concentrated RNA.
* Rapid Procedure - Isolation and detection of XMRV in less than 3 hours.
* Accuracy in Interpreting Results – The amplification bands are clearly distinct, and the melt curves do not overlap
* High Sensitivity and Specificity - The limit of detection is less than 2000 VP/mL of urine
* Purchase Primer Set and Controls Separately - The XMRV Primer set as well as the positive control and negative control can be purchased separately

I like that accessories are sold separately. (big grins) Batteries not included????

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
This looks like its for research, not general public. Is that right?

But what a huge thing if this works. Three hours!!! Nice!

Berthe

Is this perhaps the test dr. De Meirleir is throwing in at his pee-party (read; presentation) at the 22nd of september in Belgium. The presentaton costs 15 Euro for not members and includes one free drink and one free urine-test. Lots of patients in one room, great researchmaterial. It is all coming together.

I'm going! He can count me in.

Love,
Berthe

camas

Seems I remember Mikovits saying that urine would be the perfect pH for XMRV. My illness began 30 years ago with a bladder infection that led to interstitial cystitis. My IC has never completely resolved, but was always at its worst when my progesterone levels were highest. As I've aged and these levels have naturally began to lessen, my IC has improved. Was progesterone feeding XMRV?

I don't remember if they found XMRV in the bladders in the primate study, but if they can find it in urine, doesn't that make it a likely candidate? It's feeling like the pieces are starting to fall together.

Daffodil

shannah...lol i dont know...i was googling and must have thrown in a word that i hadnt used before and this came up.

wonder what the WPI thinks about this test.

Sunshine

Yesterday, experts were debating if they could find XMRV or not...
and now this? How is it possible?

Hi.

XRMV DNA in the urine is no real surprise biologically, as urine is filtered blood and XMRV is dectable in the blood. It is however a surprise to CFS patients as they didn't know.

Urine is a body fluid and retroviruses are found in body fluids, hence HIV is sexually transmitted.

Daffodil

i dont think HIV can be transmitted via urine.

i am going to ask my connection to forward this to judy..i dont think she opens my mail anymore lol

George

waitin' fer rabbits
They tweeted about the urine based XMRV detection assay yesterday

From CC Twitter: "Klein: The presence of XMRV RNA in urine is significant because such data can provide the basis for a urine-based #XMRV detection assay that is noninvasive, rapid, and easy to perform, avoiding the difficulty of obtaining blood or tissue biopsies."

But what chaps my doggy butt is the fact that the assay already exists. Yesterday's conference was like months behind what is actually going on.

While retroviruses can be "excreted" via urine or feces it's not "infectious" in that form.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
"what chaps my doggy butt" LMAOOOOO didnt think i would laugh today

(big grins)

Here's some interesting stuff what do ya'll think.

Anti-HTLV-I IgG in urine detected by sensitive enzyme immunoassay (immune complex transfer enzyme immunoassay) using a synthetic peptide, Cys-env gp46(188-224), as antigen

1. Seiichi Hashida,
2. Kouichi Hirota,
3. Takeyuki Kohno,
4. Dr. Eiji Ishikawa

Article first published online: 20 OCT 2005

DOI: 10.1002/jcla.1860080307
Link here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcla.1860080307/abstract

Abstract

Antibody IgG to human T-cell leukemia virus type I (HTLV-I) in urine was detected by a sensitive enzyme immunoassay (immune complex transfer enzyme immunoassay) using a synthetic peptide, Cys-env gp46(188–224), as antigen, the sensitivity and specificity of which were 100 and 98.5%, respectively, using serum samples. Anti-HTLV-I IgG in urine was reacted simultaneously with 2,4-dinitrophenyl-bovine serum albumin–Cys-env gp46(188–224) conjugate and Cys-env gp46(188–224)-β-D-galactosidase (Escherichia coli) conjugate. The complex formed, consisting of the three components, was trapped onto polystyrene balls coated with affinity-purified (anti-2,4-dinitrophenyl group) IgG, eluted with ϵN-2,4-dinitrophenyl-L-lysine and transferred to polystyrene balls coated with affinity-purified (anti-human IgG γ-chain) IgG. Finally, bound β-D-galactosidase activity was assayed by fluorometry. Thirty-one urine samples from seropositive subjects and 100 urine samples from seronegative subjects were tested. The sensitivity and specificity were 87 and 100%, respectively, with unconcentrated urine samples and 94 and 100%, respectively, with approximately 10-fold concentrated urine samples. These results were superior to those by the conventional ELISA and gelatin particle agglutination test.

and this one

ROCKVILLE, MARYLAND--On August 6, 1996, the Food and Drug Administration approved the first HIV test that uses urine samples. All previously approved HIV tests use either blood or oral fluid samples.

The new urine-based test detects the presence of antibodies to HIV-1, the virus that causes the vast majority of U.S. AIDS cases, using an enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method.

The test is approved to screen for HIV-1 infection and may be useful for medical purposes when the collection of blood samples is impractical.

The test is manufactured by the Calypte Biomedical Corporation of Berkeley, Calif., and will be marketed as the Calypte HIV-1 Urine EIA. It will also be marketed by Seradyn Inc. of Indianapolis, Indiana as the Seradyn Sentinel HIV-1 Urine EIA.

The test can be ordered only by a physician. Samples will be analyzed in certified medical laboratories. Any initially reactive sample will be retested twice. If even one of the second tests is reactive, the screening test will be considered positive, although this positive result does not always indicate HIV infection.

I can't believe this site is not on fire with the buzzzzzzz about a urine test for XMRV, what's up with that?

Roger

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Here's some doggie Chapstick

They tweeted about the urine based XMRV detection assay yesterday

But what chaps my doggy butt is the fact that the assay already exists. Yesterday's conference was like months behind what is actually going on.

While retroviruses can be "excreted" via urine or feces it's not "infectious" in that form.

Well, they tweeted about the presence in urine but not this assay.

From CC Twitter: "Klein: The presence of XMRV RNA in urine is significant because such data can provide the basis for a urine-based #XMRV detection assay that is noninvasive, rapid, and easy to perform, avoiding the difficulty of obtaining blood or tissue biopsies."

I sure would like to know the pedigree of these assays that seem to pop up out of the blue.

kat0465

has anybody figured out if it's available to the general Public?? or just docs?
and if we can buy a test, how much is it???

I would be thrilled to just pee in a cup and find out if im Positive!

Kat

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Is this perhaps the test dr. De Meirleir is throwing in at his pee-party (read; presentation) at the 22nd of september in Belgium. The presentaton costs 15 Euro for not members and includes one free drink and one free urine-test. Lots of patients in one room, great researchmaterial. It is all coming together.

I'm going! He can count me in.

Love,
Berthe

Wish I could be there.

Just remember:
Left hand free drink, right hand sample cup
Left hand free drink, right hand sample cup
Right hand free drink, left hand sample cup - DOOOH

:Retro smile:

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Not available to the public and you have to have a PCR machine to actually use it. Doesn't look like it's available to Doctors but rather Labs only. At least that's what I get from the web site.

Good point Otis, about the pedigree. Daffodil has e-mailed Dr. Mikovits and we will hopefully hear back soon about the validity of this test. It's certainly doable in that it has been done with both HTLV and HIV but don't know if it's for real or not. Anybody else want to e-mail anybody else, like Dr. Bateman or Dr. Singh and ask that would be cool too.