• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urea and electrolytes blood test on the NHS UK. Do they actually test Urea?

Replenished

My main symptom has been extreme thirst, frequent urination and dehydration for many years now. I recently had a private blood test which showed high Urea, although my eGFR is 'normal'.

I notice the many blood tests I've had done on the NHS over the years have Urea and electrolytes stated and markers tested but there is never a figure given for Urea, only figures for sodium, potassium and creatinine. Are they actually testing urea in this set of markers? If so why is there no figure given? Am I missing something? Why do they call it urea and electrolytes if there's no urea test?

I'm wondering if they've missed high Urea for many years if for some reasons they don't test it.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Tsukareta

I started having this problem around a year ago and its tied into mental or emotional / neurological exertion, I triggered it a couple days ago just by playing world of warcraft, I only managed 8 hours over 2 days before realizing the symptom was due to the game, and shortly after that I had a mental crash. but the game I was playing for a month long until a week ago didn't have that effect. I heard this symptom is common in CFS but I never had it for the first 6 years of the illness and I believe its mold illness related in my case.

I asked them to test ADH / osmolality but the GP wouldn't offer it, all I got was a basic blood test, she said ADH would be done at a hospital but they wont send me there without suspecting a specific disease that they are familiar with, to the extent I can I have tried to find tests on the internet that I can do myself e.g. Food Intolerance, Anti Gliadin Antibody.

Replenished

I started having this problem around a year ago and its tied into mental or emotional / neurological exertion, I triggered it a couple days ago just by playing world of warcraft, I only managed 8 hours over 2 days before realizing the symptom was due to the game, and shortly after that I had a mental crash. but the game I was playing for a month long until a week ago didn't have that effect. I heard this symptom is common in CFS but I never had it for the first 6 years of the illness and I believe its mold illness related in my case.

I asked them to test ADH / osmolality but the GP wouldn't offer it, all I got was a basic blood test, she said ADH would be done at a hospital but they wont send me there without suspecting a specific disease that they are familiar with, to the extent I can I have tried to find tests on the internet that I can do myself e.g. Food Intolerance, Anti Gliadin Antibody.

Thanks for your response. Mine doesn't appear to be connected to mental / neurological exertion. The symptoms aren't triggered. They are there all the time.

I'm still looking for an answer to my original question as to if urea is tested on there blood test.

My main symptom has been extreme thirst, frequent urination and dehydration for many years now. I recently had a private blood test which showed high Urea, although my eGFR is 'normal'.

I notice the many blood tests I've had done on the NHS over the years have Urea and electrolytes stated and markers tested but there is never a figure given for Urea, only figures for sodium, potassium and creatinine. Are they actually testing urea in this set of markers? If so why is there no figure given? Am I missing something? Why do they call it urea and electrolytes if there's no urea test?

I'm wondering if they've missed high Urea for many years if for some reasons they don't test it.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I'm looking at my GP Health Record and I have a figures for urea, sodium, potassium, and creatine. I would ask them. Different NHS labs in different trusts might do different tests as standard.