• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unrelenting Gas

For the past year, I have had unrelenting gas. At first, it was associated with horrible, almost constant, nausea, where I lost so much weight that I was borderline anorexic. Then, the nausea subsided, and I was finally able to eat. My stool seems normal. Basic tests did not show anything. However, the unusual amount of gas throughout the day has remained the same. It does not seem related to the time of the day or to a particular food group. Any thoughts about what I might try for testing or to remedy this?

Booble

Matthew, I wonder if you are coming off some kind of viral bug? I've been having similar since recovering from virus which morphed from cold/cough into nausea/appetite problems and subsequent weight loss.

If your basic stool tests didn't show anything I would consider writing down what you eat along with the degree of gas on that day. You may be surprised that there is some food answer that doesn't seem obvious. I've found that even though I can't often associate foods that cause it, I can identify foods that seem to minimize it.

Hip

Any thoughts about what I might try for testing or to remedy this?

Many of my friends and family who caught the same Coxsackie B4 virus as I have developed the symptom of constant production of odorless intestinal gas.

BeADocToGoTo1

Hi @Matthew_2

SIBO was already mentioned above, and I would add Candida overgrowth to that too. Have you kept a diary of everything you ingest? Food, drink, supplements, medicine to see if there is any correlation? Do you have silent or classic acid reflux?

Have you tried taking lactase pills with anything that contains lactose, including things like butter. Do you eat legumes? Have you had any food sensitivity tests done? What kind of stool tests have you completed?

What is your diet like?

Please have a look at the following thread as all those symptoms are familiar and this would be just one avenue to rull out:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...y-epi-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs.62997/

Avena

Flax seed oil could be relevant to try.

(If you don’t have any issues related to this other than the amount of gas itself, I would try out different simple solution like that before starting a bigger project...)

Learner1

For the past year, I have had unrelenting gas. At first, it was associated with horrible, almost constant, nausea, where I lost so much weight that I was borderline anorexic. Then, the nausea subsided, and I was finally able to eat. My stool seems normal. Basic tests did not show anything. However, the unusual amount of gas throughout the day has remained the same. It does not seem related to the time of the day or to a particular food group. Any thoughts about what I might try for testing or to remedy this?
Highly recommend getting tested for SIBO and going the herbal route if you have it.

I would highly recommend trying a Viome test and following their customized recommendations for good and digestive supplements. I was experiencing increased gas, and they recommended a German herbal products called Iberogast, which I never would have found otherwise, and lactobacillus plantarum, which seems to discourage bad actors in the gut, and my gas improved within a week. They also made find good recommendations that made sense.

Best wishes...