• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

unrelenting flu feeling

Yes I had 24/7 horrible flu-like symptoms every day...........no breaks.......for 20 yrs. I no longer have those symptoms thanks to anti-viral protocol I've been on for a little over 2 and 1/2 yrs. I still have challenges..(nothing like before)............but no longer feel like death.
If I may ask what was your anti viral protocol ?

The flu feeling is my main symptom (and also PEM feels fluey for me). I have felt like I have a severe flu for 15 years every day, since December 2002. A severe flu (and a hangover) is how I try to explain my ME to other people.

In my personal case it has increased. I don't know what to do to bring it down.
Have you been able to control this flu like feelings yet ?

I am 16 months from onset. For me I had that daily in the beginning for months. It was horrid to say the least. I figured I would just stay that way. However after about 10 months it just started getting less and less. Now 16 months in when I get it...its way more mild and infrequent.

The only thing that helped me was rest and I hate that word because that's all I do. I dont work..I'm housebound I rest all the time !!
Hey how are you getting along with that flu feeling now?

Nanni

Yes I had 24/7 horrible flu-like symptoms every day...........no breaks.......for 20 yrs. I no longer have those symptoms thanks to anti-viral protocol I've been on for a little over 2 and 1/2 yrs. I still have challenges..(nothing like before)............but no longer feel like death.

Hi, I’m wondering about your anti viral protocol was. It’s hard for me to find a balance with my protocol and keeping my gut with in good bacteria. Detoxing that’s also an issue. I’ve been doing Oil of oregano, garlic, oil of olive, cit. c,. I also treat mthfr and leaky gut gastroparesis

Pyrrhus

This "sickness response" (which used to be called "sickness behavior") refers to "flu-like" symptoms that you normally would get with an acute infection, such as feeling feverish, unusual body aches, or alternating chills/sweating.

For me, this "sickness response" was an almost weekly event in the first few years of my ME, but it then faded. I haven't experienced any sickness response in over 10 years.

Michael vanElzakker often talks about the sickness response and its connection to the vagus nerve.

perrier

This "sickness response" (which used to be called "sickness behavior") refers to "flu-like" symptoms that you normally would get with an acute infection, such as feeling feverish, unusual body aches, or alternating chills/sweating.

For me, this "sickness response" was an almost weekly event in the first few years of my ME, but it then faded. I haven't experienced any sickness response in over 10 years.

Michael vanElzakker often talks about the sickness response and its connection to the vagus nerve.
You are very lucky it is gone; here it is unrelenting, and we don't know what to do. Thanks, any suggestions welcome. Even bought, Cytokine suppress, and not helping

Jessie 107

@perrier
My flu like symptoms disappeared when I started on Abilify . I take 2mg and have been taking it for about 18months.
I am bedbound but I can now do more than I could before including being able to have a bath,rest down stairs every afternoon, and lay down outside in the summer months.
Recently I have been able to stand up for 13 seconds and take 1 step.
All would have been impossible before Abilify.

MonkeyMan

You are very lucky it is gone; here it is unrelenting, and we don't know what to do. Thanks, any suggestions welcome. Even bought, Cytokine suppress, and not helping

I tried "Cytokine Suppress" also, and not only did it not help, it sent me into a crash that lasted for over a week.