• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

unrefreshing sleep

Mary

Moderator Resource
I don’t feel well in the morning.
It’s like sleeping makes me feel worse.
Your cortisol may be low in the morning, which is very common with ME/CFS, and low cortisol will make you feel like crap. Have you had your cortisol levels tested? Most doctors will just run a blood test first thing in the morning, which will only show your cortisol level at that time of day. Many consider the Adrenal Stress Index Test - a saliva test using 4 samples taken during the day/evening - to provide a more accurate and useful indication of cortisol status. This test will show how your cortisol levels rise and fall during the day/evening, which can help in dealing with cortisol issues. But if nothing else, the morning cortisol blood test will show if you have low morning cortisol and if you, there are different things you can do to help. High cortisol at night, when it's supposed to be low, can cause severe insomnia which nothing will touch until cortisol levels are normalized.

Pearshaped

@purplelady
Have you tried butterbur?
Im on several prescription drugs and a bunch of suppl.for sleep.
Only butterbur seems to help me with sleep quality / unrefreshing sleep in a really noticable way.
We are all different but i'd highly recommend it.

Shoshana

Northern USA
@Pearshaped
I wondered what dosage you take of the butterbur, and the timeing of when you take it, hoping for those good sleep effects.

I have taken it in the past, mainly for head pain, and it helped. I needed to take 3 softgel caps, in order to have the effect.
I cant remember the dosage of those. I have the Enzymatic Therapy brand, a product called Petadolex.
I want to try it for sleep, now that you mentioned that.

Pearshaped

@Shoshana
I take two tablets it must be around 200mg buterbur all in all.but earlier times i took even 400mg.
I just saw that it contains also a tiny amount of passionflower and lemon balm.
I made best experiences when take it early (7- 7:30pm).
sleep meds and other supps i take much later (just before 10pm)
good luck