• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unprecedented 3D wiring diagram of human brain

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/biology/3d-brain-map-connectome-google-harvard/

"As well as showing just how incredibly well-connected neurons are, the images reveal some other unexpected sights. Some clusters of neurons seemed to occur in mirrored pairs, for unknown reasons. Others showed what the team calls “axon whorls,” where the long filament parts of neurons would form looped piles in a way never seen before. The researchers say it could be an unknown symptom of epilepsy, since the patient the sample was taken from suffered from the disease, or they could just be a rare occurrence in healthy brain tissue."

These axon whorls may not have anything to do with ME, but since they're newly-discovered, we don't know that they aren't involved in ME. Perhaps PWME have more or fewer whorls, or they're looser or tighter, or larger or smaller, thicker or thinner, which affects how they respond to chemokines or other signals, or how they interact with glial processes, which could result in such symptoms as brainfog, lethargy, aches, etc.

Aside from these whorls, what other features of brain cells are yet to be discovered? Likewise there may be undiscovered features of vagus cells or some other cells in the body. Scans and tests will show "normal" if they're not looking at the right features.