• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK - Where to get Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) Urine Test?

I'm wondering if there is a simpler and cheaper option to get test my Hydrogen Sulphide levels in the UK? I think Dr Myhill's link refers you to Dr Meirleir's test.

Hip

The hydrogen sulphide theory of ME/CFS I don't think ever worked out, so I am not sure if the "neurotoxic metabolite test" for hydrogen sulphide offered by KDM is still available. I believe it was a dead end line of research.

Hip

The H2S theory of ME/CFS was based on the fact that if you give mice H2S, they go into hibernation, ie, a state of very low energy usage, reminiscent of ME/CFS. It was theorized by Marian Dix Lemle that the same thing might occur in humans, that H2S might trigger a hibernation state, and that ME/CFS might thus be caused by overproduction of H2S in the gut, creating human hibernation, which we diagnose as ME/CFS.

KDM picked up on Marian's theory, and started offering his "neurotoxic metabolite test" for H2S. But humans do not react the same way to H2S as mice do, and I don't think there is any evidence that H2S can cause a hibernation state in humans. So although Marian continued to pursue her theory, I have not heard anything more about it

I don't know about the affect of H2S on the gut, but the paper you linked to looks interesting. It seems that high H2S is linked to impairment of detoxification in the gut mucous membranes.

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can result in production of H2S, as well as hydrogen gas and methane gas. The last two are measurable by the hydrogen/methane breath test for SIBO. Last time I checked, no SIBO tests were available to detect H2S, but this was being worked on. So it's possible you might find a SIBO test now which checks all three gases.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the theory behind it, much appreciated!

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can result in production of H2S, as well as hydrogen gas and methane gas. The last two are measurable by the hydrogen/methane breath test for SIBO. Last time I checked, no SIBO tests were available to detect H2S, but this was being worked on. So it's possible you might find a SIBO test now which checks all three gases.

I actually had a SIBO breath test a couple of years ago. I don't recall any mention of H2S being tested also but i'll go back and check, just in case.

Hip

I don't recall any mention of H2S being tested also but i'll go back and check, just in case.

It will probably not include a H2S test if it was a few years ago. It's possible some of the most advanced SIBO breath test today might include H2S though, because testing for H2S is a new development.