• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK, The Times, 23 Apr: 'Biological breakthrough offers fresh hope to ME sufferers

Fatigue is associated with muscle weakness in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: an explorative study.

Voermans NC, Knoop H, Bleijenberg G, van Engelen BG.

They've not got a great history with CFS.

I ended up reading a EDS paper of there's which seemed poor and biased a couple of years ago too, but haven't been following their more recent work.

alex3619

My mum got her spine severely damaged in an accident, then they dropped her off the X Ray table onto old fashioned rails (like railway tracks they moved the huge x ray machines on..and no one "saw it" you know like 4 folk there and they all "didn't see it", gutless scumbags. Mum got her spine snapped protecting a patient and those swine hadn't the spine of a jellyfish)
and they used an x ray dye that they KNEW caused damage to the spinal cord
so she ended up in agony, and a psychiatrist said she had "neurasthenia" (that was in late 60s).
no it was NOT neurasthenia, they changed it iirc first it was diagnosed as anyklozing spondilytis (spelling?) and then they decided it was arachnoiditis
she had scaring building up on her spinal cord nipping the nerves causing incredible pain, it was not all in her head
one of many reasons I regard a lot of the medical profession as arrogant, inhuman, callous, useless bastards.

I am sorry to read this. Its not fair that this happens to anyone, and especially bad when it happens to good people trying to help others.

Bob

Prof Julia Newton is organising/chairing a biomedical conference in Newcastle:

CFS/ME 2013: UPDATE ON AETIOLOGY, DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT
5th of December 2013
Venue: Royal Station Hotel, Newcastle
http://www.medineo.org/products/35-cfsme-2013-update-on-aetiology-diagnosis-and-management.aspx

About the conference

We are delighted to invite you to this exiting CPD accredited conference presented by the leading national and international experts in research of the CFS/ME.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is sometimes dismissed as an "all in your head" illness. A diagnosis is given when a health care practitioner has ruled out other causes for the cluster of symptoms. However Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a complex and serious debilitating medical condition with a diverse range of symptoms. Profound physical and/or mental fatigue is the most well known, while others include pain, disturbed sleep patterns and gastrointestinal problems and affect about 200 000 people in UK including children. Each patient experiences his or her own personal combination of symptoms. Still individuals with this disease remain frustrated by the lack of belief and support from health care providers, families, and friends. They continually doubt themselves and ask "What's wrong with me?", "Am I crazy?", "Am I imagining these problems?"

This conference will focus on bringing healthcare professionals together to share their knowledge and achievements in diagnosing and managing this serious condition. Leading experts will discuss latest developments in understanding the aetiology and pathophysiology of CFS/ME; Update you on the recent developments of the research.

Topics will include
  • General overview of CFS/ME
  • Aetiology and Epidemiology of CFS/ME
  • Pathophysiology of CFS/ME
  • Diagnostic challenges of CFS/ME
  • NICE and the evidence base - the future
  • Management of physical activities
  • Management of psychological symptoms
  • Diagnosis and management of symptoms in children
  • Management of sleep disorders
  • Management of Autonomic dysfunction
  • New developements in research

See list of speakers on the website.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I've been wondering, re the Newton muscle study, if they were to subject the muscle samples to in vitro sessions of CBT, if less lactic acid would be secreted? :confused: o_O ;) :p

:lol: "Now see here, little myocytes, you are wrong in your belief that you cannot perform oxidative phosphorylation for more than a few minutes before switching to glycolysis and producing too much lactate. You are doing this to yourself, because you have an irrational fear of oxidative phosporylation."

Bob

:lol: "Now see here, little myocytes, you are wrong in your belief that you cannot perform oxidative phosphorylation for more than a few minutes before switching to glycolysis and producing too much lactate. You are doing this to yourself, because you have an irrational fear of oxidative phosporylation."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, it makes me feel like laughing and crying at the same time!