• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Prescription Costs

helsbells

Does anyone know if we can claim a medical exemption certificate on the basis of having:

A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months

For the seriously affected is this an option? It has never occured to me to try before on this basis.

jace

Off the fence
It's worth a shot, Hels. If you have higher rate mobility DLA, it's hard to see how they could argue.... but if all the paperwork sends you into a cold sweat, then maybe the game is not worth the candle.

Min

Yes, I have this because I use a wheelchair when out & need a carer to push it. The form was available from my GP, who had to sign it.

helsbells

Thank-you for helpful replies - it literally never occured to me! I will discuss it with my Dr - Thanks again :)

Athene

ihateticks.me
If this fails, you can get a prepayment certificate very easily. You pay an up-front amount for the year, if you are sure you'll be paying for lots of presriptions during the year which amount to more than the certificate cost. My mother has one of these and saves hundreds of pounds.

But she also has disability allowance because of her ME, so I am going to suggest she tries for an exemption certificate. Thanks for the idea!