• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: ME Association: PRESS RELEASE: BRING AN END TO NHS NEGLECT SURVEY

Countrygirl

MEA: BRING AN END TO NHS NEGLECT

Embargoed Until 9am Monday 22nd May
ME Association Press Release
PLEASE SHARE AFTER 9 AM MAY 22nd 2023

(Please fill in the survey from the link below)
‘COUNT ME IN’ - M.E. CHARITY CALLS FOR AN END TO NHS NEGLECT

In a first-time test of public opinion, Britain’s oldest charity for people with the energy-sapping disease Myalgic Encephalomyelitis will today start asking hundreds of thousands of sufferers whether they’re satisfied with the support they’re getting from the National Health Service.

Martine Ainsworth-Wells, campaigns director at the ME Association, said: “We know the picture will be patchy – but we want to hear directly from people with the illness, or from those still without a diagnosis, how well or indeed how badly they think the NHS is performing.”

Today (Monday, 22nd May), the Buckinghamshire-based charity launches a major survey to find the answers. The survey will be backed by a nationwide social media and digital advertising campaign scheduled to last several months. This attempt to reach huge numbers of patients, many of whom have given up on seeing their doctors because of breakdowns in the doctor-patient relationship, has never been tried before.

Ainsworth-Wells said: “We want sufferers, those who think they might have ME - otherwise known as chronic fatigue syndrome - and those now being diagnosed with ME after succumbing to Long Covid to count themselves in.

“Every survey questionnaire will get read. Every opinion will carry weight and within a few weeks we plan to build a map, region by region, of patients’ views of NHS services round the UK.”

The ME Association’s ‘Count ME In’ campaign will obtain vital feedback from patients on whether ME/CFS services round the UK are using the most up-to-date guidance from the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) on how to manage the incurable illness.

In October 2021, NICE scrapped its guidance that people with ME should be encouraged to exercise their way out of the illness - after accepting advice from the ME Association and researchers that too much exercise taken too quickly can set back recoveries by weeks, months or even years.

“A handful of services have adapted what they offer and now follow the NICE guidance. They’re shining examples of what can be done. But, 19 months on, too many are either ignoring the advice or just gaming the system in the hope that no one will notice they’ve not really changed their practice”, added Ainsworth-Wells.

“This is a big cohort of patients who’ve been neglected by many of the health services for far too long – resulting in a huge loss of talent to the country’s workforce. The NHS has got to do better.”

To fill in the ‘Count ME In’ survey questionnaire, visit:
https://meassociation.org.uk/count-me-in-me-association.../
NOTES FOR EDITORS:

For further information please contact ME Association press officer Tony Britton, mob: 07946 760811, email: tony.britton@meassociation.org.uk

Almost 70 years since the illness got its modern name of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, no one really knows how many people are affected. The Chief Medical Officer in 2002 estimated its prevalence at between 0.2% and 0.4% of the population – or up to 250,000 children and adults in the UK.

But actual figures have never been centrally recorded and it is widely thought that the figure today is much higher.
Up to a quarter of these are so badly affected that they cannot leave their homes without support and, in the most severe cases, are bedbound, requiring to be tube-fed to survive.

In more recent times, following the covid pandemic, the Office for National Statistics estimates that 2 million people have been suffering from Long Covid – many of whom are now past the Long Covid stage and have been re-diagnosed with M.E.
NICE guidance advises that four key symptoms must come together for a diagnosis of ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to be made. They are: debilitating fatigue made worse by activity; post-exertional malaise after activity; unrefreshing sleep; and cognitive problems, often described as ‘brain fog’.

They may also be accompanied by a myriad of other symptoms including feeling faint or dizzy on standing up or sitting upright; nerve, muscle and joint pain without swelling or redness; alcohol intolerance; and extreme sensitivities to changes in temperature, light, sound, noise, taste and smell.
ENDS

BrightCandle

This is missing two really critical things as a survey of the usefulness of services.
1. There is no back button, you can't reassess an answer and it follows up on subsequent pages. This will lead to inaccurate answers and I cant help the mistakes it won't let me correct.
2. It fails to ask what we think of the services we have received and if they are helpful. It's pointless.

This isn't a hard survey but it's also pretty bad. Once again the meassociation seems to show it doesn't understand the patients it's meant to represent.

Countrygirl

I have adapted the survey by using the boxes near the end to convey my serious concerns.

I have told them about how the clinics are falsely claiming to be NICE-compliant by consultants informing patients that NICE has renamed GET as pacing (yes, really!!); GPs have told me that they have no intention of learning about ME and will not recognise the NICE guidelines; that an increasing number of mums are being accused of FII; that one of the hospitals that deliberately let young ME patients starve to death was repeating this with another patient until they were shamed by a media campaign into feeding the young woman; how the same hospital just refused to feed another young woman whose BMI has dropped to 11 with the weight of four stone; how again that same hospital orders patients with other serious conditions admitted for tests/treatment off the ward if a diagnosis of ME is anywhere on their medical history; I have stated that the NHS has disenfranchised ME patients from the usual protective systems enjoyed by other patients. None of the questions were relevant to the information I wanted to convey, but you can adapt the form by writing what you want to say in the two boxes near the end. They have promised to read it all.

linusbert

why are they fighting the recognizition so hard, i dont get it. this shouldnt be political at all!