• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Uk incapacity benefit -how the system will cheat you

After spending days / weeks filling in the form beforehand with plenty of backup information on good and bad days and how it affects you - this is completely ignored by the the assessor who claims to be an expert then asks purely yes/no questions & will not allow you to explain how things change on a daily or even hourly basis.

Exclusion of this information is a BIG problem. I asked my own GP (top man!) if he would attend my medical with me to give his opinion. He informed me that, "much as he would like to do this ( and I really believe he would have done so) it was not permitted. This is just another example of the 'deck being stacked' in favour of the DWP. I don't know if it still applies but, as a claimant, you were allowed nobody to support/represent you except immediate family. The only exception was if you had learning difficulties. This may have changed. If it hasn't, it should.
Re the Forms - The first lot that I filled in mysteriously 'disappeared' and I had to do them again. Fortunately, my partner had photocopied the originals so the second lot was easier (for her!). I make a point of keeping copies of all forms and letters that I send to the DWP or anyone else relating to the 'Benefit/Jobcentre' system. You'll have to forgive my cynicism, it has been acquired by years of bitter experience :).

Wonko

hmmm....normally I score so high that the interview is terminated after 10 mins or so - there's no point in continuing

but under those descriptors on a good day.......I might stand a chance of being considered able to work - if it wasnt for 11a
At least once a week, has an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness of concentration
tho of course it would depend on what they mean by lost, altered or concentration - or even consciousness

dont like the sound of this new ESA system at all

Here is a link to the point-awarding system they use. http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_esadescriptorslcwphysical

Interestingly, the ATOS doctor was the first person to say I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I guess I should be grateful for small mercies
:Retro redface::Retro tongue:

Many Thanks for the link Jace. I've viewed it over the past couple of days and it is a massive step forward from the previous forms that I have completed, particularly from a cognitive point of view.
Assuming that this form will also include 'boxes' for 'additional information', to enable a little 'fine tuning' of specific responses to the questions, then it really does look like the DWP have been listening. I look forward to my next visit to ATOS to see if their attitude has changed.:eek:

Diva55

I had a quick skim thro. Yes it seems there are improvements.

The Cognitive section which would score high for many of us is how they group depressed / mentally ill claimants.

If you scored low in the other sections which a lot would (as we have mostly constantly changing symptoms which the forms do not take into account - just the yes/no restrictions) but high in the Cognitive section you would be ringfenced as Depressed and not having a "known" illness!

This does not appear to have changed one iota no matter that the forms have changed. So I believe you are grouped into the depressed section even before the Atos visit - maybe they just have to confim that points summary?

Many Thanks for the link Jace. I've viewed it over the past couple of days and it is a massive step forward from the previous forms that I have completed, particularly from a cognitive point of view.
Assuming that this form will also include 'boxes' for 'additional information', to enable a little 'fine tuning' of specific responses to the questions, then it really does look like the DWP have been listening. I look forward to my next visit to ATOS to see if their attitude has changed.:eek:

Hi Diva55 - The World Health Organisation classify ME/CFS in the ICD -10 group as a neurological disorder under Diseases of the Nervous System, as are Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy. The classification code for ME/CFS is G93.3. This works for me:Retro smile:

You comment - "If you scored low in the other sections which a lot would (as we have mostly constantly changing symptoms which the forms do not take into account - just the yes/no restrictions) but high in the Cognitive section you would be ringfenced as Depressed and not having a "known" illness!"
Yes, and a low score could result in reduced benefit that causes even more hardship for sufferers even if these may be restored at appeal. At least with the cognitive aspects included there is more likelihood of achieving a higher score.

In my opinion - at this stage in the grand game of 'screw the genuine sufferer out of their benefit entitlement', I believe anything that eases/enables those that genuinely deserve financial help to get it has to be welcomed.

Like most ME sufferers, I strongly resent the mental health label that currently exists, but I am also convinced that this will eventually change as the level of appropriate research increases.

jace

Off the fence
My ATOS Work Assessment.

After the first ESA ATOS medical, most people are put in the "work related" group, with the obligation to go to a monthly appointment with Pathways to Work. This means a fiver less per week than the support group get, and 25 more than the entry pittance.

For me, that was not too rigorous. The Pathways office was close by, and the people running it were realistic. It took them four months to up my money, but they backpay. Just before Christmas, in my case - Wahaay!

After six months on Pathways, you get called for another Work Related Assessment. I decided to go to mine, despite my approaching 60th birthday, and my coming pension will give me a livable income. However if my benefits were stopped for that time it would make a severe problem for me.

Met up with my youngest, who brought Callum along (aged 7 months) and proceeded to the dread ATOS medical centre. The doors are arranged to make it really hard to get in - a person in a wheel chair would have great difficulty, and there are steps outside, and no ramp that I could see.

I was feeling pretty awful. I registered my attendance with the reception, and was told that they were running about an hour late as they were a doctor down.

We found a space in the crowded waiting room, and I made my coat into a pillow and lay in the corner on the floor. The fluorescent lights were making my symptoms worse, so I put a magazine over my face to block them out. My daughter and I chatted inconsequentially, then she lost herself in a magazine while I zoned out. Little Callum was asleep in his pushchair.

Next thing I knew, people were being asked to come back another day, and I was asked to go into the interview room with a nurse.

I pointed out that I was officially able to retire in three weeks time, and she said, don't worry, I'll fill this in for you. You just have to jump through the hoops that the high-ups put in place. She asked if I'd like her to turn the lights off, I said yes please, so she did.

My interviewer was very knowledgeable about ME, and was totally charmed by the little lad, who had woken up to smile at everybody by now. The interview was over in 2O minutes.

I guess it just depends who you get. The last time, the Doctor I saw was hostile and impatient, but she was the first medico that told me that I had CFS. The first doctor mis-represented my answers in her report.

Tip - if you need to lie down on the floor, do so. It didn't just help me! They got their act together for everyone.

Tip - ask for a copy of your ATOS report, and write and attach your version of your replies to show anyone that may be using it to make a decision on your case.

Fact - the first medical generates an electronic file, which is sent to the DWP within 48 hours of the appointment. They are legally obliged to give you a copy.