• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

U.K. Professor Malcom Hooper writes to Michael Rawlins Chairman of NICE

maryb

iherb code TAK122
He truly brings hope to those of us living with the misery of this illness.

V99

The reply was cowardly, and devalues the Hippocratic oath. :Retro mad:

oerganix

I hope this lays to rest any remaining ideas that this group is so wrong because of ego or stupidity. The only remaining explanations for their behavior are 1) money &/or 2) some kind of government involvement in the cause, or development or spread of the cause. (Any news on why info on ME has been declared a State Secret in UK for the next 50 years?)

ukxmrv

It sounds as if Dr Micheal is holding a grudge against Professor Hooper over the Judicial Review (court action brought by patients to challange the NICE guideline).

Prof Hooper was one of the expert witnesses against NICE

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I'm just wondering (I'm a little confused by all this), if there is a legal issue involved so that receiving and opening this type of correspondence would not be okay under the circumstances. Like I said, just wondering.

justinreilly

I'm just wondering (I'm a little confused by all this), if there is a legal issue involved so that receiving and opening this type of correspondence would not be okay under the circumstances. Like I said, just wondering.

I don't think there could be. The lawyers probably told him not to talk to Hooper and he overreacted by returning the document. The only legal ramification I could think of would be a negative one for the Dr. Michael as now there is evidence that the British government is actively ignoring evidence unfavorable to its entrenched position. (I am an american litigator- when I am well enough).

jace

Off the fence
I hope this lays to rest any remaining ideas that this group is so wrong because of ego or stupidity. The only remaining explanations for their behavior are 1) money &/or 2) some kind of government involvement in the cause, or development or spread of the cause. (Any news on why info on ME has been declared a State Secret in UK for the next 50 years?)

The timing (1988) of the D notice to deny access to ME papers is interesting. I wonder whether it has any connection with the financial costs of the AID's epidemic of the time - I can hear them, in a private room, deciding that they couldn't afford another epidemic. "...and anyway, most of these people are not so sick..."

Malcolm Hooper is my hero, alongside Tim Berners-Lee.

sproggle

Jan
Any of you brainy(yes you are! :D) people know if Malcolm Hooper got any kind of repsonse to his formal complaint to Lord Drayson dated 11thFeb?

http://herbiv4.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/letter-of-complaint-to-the-rt-hon-the-lord-drayson/

I'm prob being thick &the info is somewhere really obvious but I'm trying to put a campaign letter together &it's a whole in my research.. :ashamed:

Maybe it will take longer for any reply to such a formal complaint :confused:

Cheers
Jan xx